New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    For future reference

Are right-hand cars allowed in the Philippines? | The Manila Times

Section 1 of RA 8506 explicitly states:

"Section 1. It shall be unlawful for any person to import, cause the importation of, register, cause the registration of, use, or operate any vehicle with its steering wheel right-hand side thereof in any highway, street or road, whether private or public or of the national or local government except such vehicles that are acknowledged as vintage automobiles, manufactured before 1960, in showroom condition, and/or are to be utilized exclusively for officially and legally sanctioned motorsports events, and off-road special purpose vehicles."

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    For future reference

Are right-hand cars allowed in the Philippines? | The Manila Times
    i imagine,
    driving a right-hand drive in our left-hand drive traffic, can get confusing and dangerous.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i imagine,
    driving a right-hand drive in our left-hand drive traffic, can get confusing and dangerous.
    well, there was a time when it was allowed...

and, if you've been to Myanmar, that's almost half their vehicles on the road

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    well, there was a time when it was allowed...

and, if you've been to Myanmar, that's almost half their vehicles on the road
    i get to experience riding a RHD car (taxi) in HK.
    medyo un-nerving at times, because i am not used to it.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i get to experience riding a RHD car (taxi) in HK.
    medyo un-nerving at times, because i am not used to it.
    no. in Myanmar, they use RHD cars and drive on the right side of the road din
    so basically, the driver will enter the car from the safe side of the road
    (they were starting to correct this mga 2 years ago)

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Government was probably the biggest user of RHD vehicles before they got banned. Stuff donated from Japan.

I remember seeing the MMDA parking lot in the early 90s : ang daming RHD Toyota Crowns and Hi-Aces.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Is the RHD-to-LHD conversion industry still alive?

It wasn't long ago when every 5th car you see on the road was a "convert". The infamous Mitsubishi Delicado comes to mind.

But as recently as the other night, I still see trucks with RHD headlamps.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post

It wasn't long ago when every 5th car you see on the road was a "convert". The infamous Mitsubishi Delicado comes to mind.

there are still shops selling converted Japanese Kei Vans...

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006

in Mindanao and the visayas there are shops still around and kicking w/c do conversions. they specialize on the cute kei vans and they also do all sorts of add-ons to entice potential customers.

if i'm not mistaken ang bagsakan niya somewhere sa davao del sur. malakas ang kapit sa nakaraan na admin ata kasi that's when i saw those vehicles make a return

i was told that when i was an infant, my dad brought home his first rhd pre-owned car from england. it was an old clunker called ford corsair. i think i still have snippets of memories about it, or baka manufactured na lang ng isip ko iyong mga iyon.

anyhow, nagsisi daw siya bakit niya binenta iyon even though sakit daw ng ulo niya. in fact, isang tao lang ang kaya mag maintain at mag-ayos nun. dinadayo niya pa sa sta mesa o somewhere sa quezon city iyong mekaniko - who eventually bought the jalopy from him kasi na-in love na daw siya doon sa kotse na iyon.
    Last edited by baludoy; October 19th, 2023 at 07:43 PM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008

as ice started,
    it is generally illegal now, to import rhd vehicles into the country.
    they have to be converted prior to import.
    i suspect, subic and other such zones, can perform such conversions on imports to its zone, prior to release of said vehicles to the rest of the country.
    Last edited by dr. d; October 19th, 2023 at 07:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Are right-hand cars allowed in the Philippines?