New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Will be owner driven, may travel 140+Km 2x a week, depends if it is able to beat the average 1.5 hrs travel time of my current rig. Will traverse occasional unpaved roads (reblocking projects). Choosing between the two since may dealerships near us.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    RWD vs FWD...

Limited space for the rear seats of the 86... But its RWD

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by torque&pepper View Post
    Will be owner driven, may travel 140+Km 2x a week, depends if it is able to beat the average 1.5 hrs travel time of my current rig. Will traverse occasional unpaved roads (reblocking projects). Choosing between the two since may dealerships near us.
    with that long driving distance and time spent driving, i'd want the car which will cocoon me more comfortably.
    in my experience, "fit-like-a-glove" is for shorter distances only. for longer distances/longer driving time, a wider inside is prefered.
    Last edited by dr. d; August 28th, 2017 at 04:53 PM.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    *dr. d: so you're leaning on the civic sir? I thought the ride of the '17 86 was sorted out already.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Will you keep it stock/put minor bolt on mods or youll go all out in the near future?

If minor mods lang, like intake, ecu tune, exhaust, rims + sticky tires or stock lang. I'll go with rs. Bigger, more comfortable, a bit faster than the 86, tipid pa sa gas.

If I recall bonestock quater mile time, 15.mids sec ang RS and 16.lows ang AT 86.

If plan mo all out, mas madali palakasin gt86 since you have a good 2.0l boxer foundation and strong a/t tranny. Easy 300whp with right turbo and parts and blaze100(meron ba dyan sa inyo?)

With civic, you need to convert to MT tranny na, to push the car past 220whp.

With looks, parehas na lng sila looker.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    A daily driver should be:

A. Comfortable
    B. Fuel efficient
    C. Roomy enough for running errands like grocery runs.

The stock suspension of the 86 will jar you and remind you that you've got a tail bone. If your daily commute is over bad roads, get the civic. But if you must get the 86, do a test drive with the MT. It's a lot more fun.

The 86 is efficient. The civic RS isn't bad either.

The civic is a better all-around car if you ask me. If this will be your one and only car, the 86 will put a grin to your face when you're getting in and a frown when you're leaving it.

Sent from my Android using Tsikot Forums mobile app

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Why not an AWD turbo sedan? The WRX is quicker than both the 86 and Civic RS. It's no slouch also on the track against the 86 and Civic RS. You have space for 5 and a usable trunk like the Civic. An easy tune will have the engine do around 300hp/400Nm. The WRX can do well on paved and gravel roads, as it was designed from its rally roots. Also, you can get the WRX in either MT or CVT.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Civic RS is much cheaper than either of the others.

It's faster than the 86 (by quite a bit), slower than the WRX (by a lot).

Doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the other two, but doesn't beat you up. WRX is stiff, bordering on harsh (but liveable for those of you who've owned a lowered car at one point or another). 86 is stiff and ultra-low. You have to crawl in and out, and the ride height is not village megahump friendly.

Civic and WR-X are similar in utility, but Civic has more space.

WR-X, hands down, best potential of the three. Some bolt-ons, reflash, boom. STI power.

To get decent poke out of 86, you'll be spending quite a bit in parts. Definitely need a reflash, but even with that, you might be bitin. Turbocharging or supercharging it will cost $$$$.

There's already a reflash for the Civic to take it over 200 hp. Add bolt-ons and you're at Mini Cooper S territory (mid 14 quarter miles). Good bang for the buck, even without tuning, as, thanks to the transmission, it's already quicker than the 185 hp Focus S or the 200 hp Veloster. The Hondata reflash also reportedly gets rid of the transmission lag, for even more zoom zoom zoom.

-

But if you want the total package, the WRX still can't be beat. Steering not as nice as STI or 86, but still very good, and you can actually live with it day to day, despite the noisy exhaust and stiff ride.

-

But do you have the money for it?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Wise words from Niky. I guess he pretty much summed it all.

The Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ uses the same engine, the non-turbo FA20. The turbo version of the FA20 is the one used on the WRX (268hp), WRX S4 (296hp), Forester XT (between 240 to 280 hp), and Levorg 2.0 (between 268 to 296 hp).

10. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    [QUOTE=torque&pepper;2866736]Will be owner driven, may travel 140+Km 2x a week, depends if it is able to beat the average 1.5 hrs travel time of my current rig. Will traverse occasional unpaved roads

civic nalang kung may unpave roads masira lang underchassis mo mura pa rin pyesa ng hondas vs subarus mahal.

Compare mo civic type r sa wrx sti lap times. PG same hp Okay pa FWD kung stock stock lang pero kung may aftermarket parts na doon papasok ang AWD's advantage.

Kung power..wrx..
    Depende rin sa ruta kung diretso lang useless AWD. Eh kung mabundok parang sa amin marcos hiway ng baguio. Well kung hahatawin mo talaga,, AWD pa rin ako. Pero kung wala kang experience or skills.... FWD. Kung hatawin mo talaga dapat alm mo gamitin AWD system mo to its '' TRUE'' potential versus sa FWD if not sayang lang. Kung power wrx sti. But due to current gas hike civic ako 1.5 lang vs sa 2.5/2.0. With just a reflash I could enjoy running fast without shooting my pockets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast