New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2013
    Hi guys,

Just helping a brother out. My cousin is looking for a used car under 100k. A quick search at olx, cars that'd fit in that budget are the Sentra up to 2000, Lancer up to 95-97, Corolla up to 93. With the aforementioned choices, which one would you choose? Taking into consideration, fc and parts.

Sentra- Newest among the lot, plenty of choices like, B13, B14, with some stray Exalta's. Superb ac, I suppose. How's the a/t fuel consumption? Any known issue/s?
    Lancer and Corolla- Guess, its all pretty much the same? Since its in the same years. I have no known issue/s. Perhaps, suspension on the Lancer that I've read over the years in the forum.

That's the only budget he has. So any suggestion of adding even 1k, is futile.

If you have any other suggestions and knowledge among the mentioned cars, please post it here.

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Generally, newer is better. For a car this old however, the newest would still be old. Be sure to bring a trusted mechanic to check the unit.

I'd suggest the Sentra. A relative of mine uses a 1997 B13 Sentra LEC PS as a daily driver. Everything runs fine. Apparently very fuel efficient too. The B13 and B14 sold very well back in the day so parts are readily available.

Another suggestion would be the Hyundai Grace. It is basically a rebadged LWB Mitsubishi Delica and so shares many parts with the L300. For the same price you get to seat more than twice as many people and get better gas mileage.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    kung ganyan lang din budget niya.siguro mas maganda kung toyota bigbody nalang hanapin mo, tutal sa tanda na ng tsikot na katumbas ng budget niya sigurado may mga papa ayos nadin.kung toyota makukuha mo hindi ganun kasakit sa ulo magpagawa.at mag hanap ng pyesa..

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i recommend you get manual trans, to decrease potential transmission headaches.

5. Join Date
    May 2013
    Thank you for all your inputs.

Yes, the newest is still more than 15 years old already. I think he knows that he will be spending a lot of moeny and time on those models.

Currently, he's leaning on the Sentra, because its the "newest" of them all. Still searching on olx and fb groups to find the best deal.

Keep your inputs coming.

Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Yep. Old car means be prepared to be spending lots on repairs and maintenance.

When we got a 1997 Granvia (159tkms mileage) last year as part of a debt settlement, we've so far spent slightly over 100k on repairs, maintenance and upgrades. List includes but not limited to new audio HU (Pioneer 1DIN), HID system, roof repaint (faded and slightly rusted), replace front tires (Falken), replace battery (Amaron 3SM), alternator repaired, AC cooling coil replaced, AC compressor overhauled, radiator overhauled, replace brake master (orig Aisin), replace rear drum brake assembly, replace steering rack, replace front upper and lower suspension arms and shocks, replace rear coil springs... etc. 😂 You'll notice that the items for repair or replacement are mostly typical for a car of this vintage.

It was worth it though. The van made for a very useful (and comfy) harabas vehicle and has logged over 6tkms in the 6mos that its been with us.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    If you're buying a second hand car, first look for the rust underneath mostly on fenders. Second, listen to the engine if it has knocking sound and look for leaks. Third look for the electrical components if it has undergone some repairs.

Sent from my LG-D858HK using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    May 2017
    Can't go wrong with lancer

Sent from my FL02 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    get a 90s corolla, sentra, or even lancer.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Matibay makina ng sentra naka timing chain at 16v na kahit luma.

Sent from my LG-D858HK using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast