New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hi,

Need your help on this, choosing between the 2, E46 316i manual transmission or 1999 E46 318i automatic transmission?

Who has the better engine of the two, in terms of reliability, parts availability and most importantly fuel economy?

The 316i has the N40 engine 1.6liter and the 318i has the M43 engine 1.8liter.

Is the N40 less reliable than the M43?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    N40 is pretty solid. It's a really simple design with no VANOS so it's less picky with oil. DOHC head and newer design means it's just as strong as the M43B18.

OTOH M43 was already old even when the E46 came out (M4x engine dates back to the late '80s and saw use in the E30). SOHC head means it's not really any faster than the N40 316i. The "good" E46 318i is the one with the N42 or N46.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Too old. F30 320d or 328i if you still want the gravitas of a BMW that looks like a modern luxury car.

Or if you wanna go hard on the old school route then might as well get an E39.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    E39 is a looker, I would love to have one but I wouldnt have the time for it.

Consider where you live, in Metro Manila there are a number of BMW shops (European Motors, Europlus, Bimmer Monkeys, Sportline, and etc).

The smaller engine with a manual will be presumably easier to maintain and parts for basic things are plentiful. The only item I had to wait for in mine was a side mirror glass piece. The rest of the things like alternators and etc are fine. Come to think of it not much has been changed in 60k kms.

I would check if it leaks oil since that is a syndrome of some BMWs.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    So is the 316i with 1.6liter N40 engine, ok for daily use? I wont have any issues with it?

By the way I live here in Marikina, Any good and trusted shop for BMW near my area? Also any well known shops for spare parts and after markets near me also? Because the bimmer I'm eyeing to buy has an issue, speedometer and the small meter below the tachometer, the economy gauge is not working also. What could be the issue, is it cheap fix?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by gh0str1d3r View Post
    So is the 316i with 1.6liter N40 engine, ok for daily use? I wont have any issues with it?

By the way I live here in Marikina, Any good and trusted shop for BMW near my area? Also any well known shops for spare parts and after markets near me also? Because the bimmer I'm eyeing to buy has an issue, speedometer and the small meter below the tachometer, the economy gauge is not working also. What could be the issue, is it cheap fix?
    Don't move in w/ someone you're infatuated w/ just yet.
    Old bimmers? You gotta commit. Be very ready. Good luck![emoji1696]
    Oh...realOEM, FCPEuro, ecsTuning, Pelican will be your new best friends.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tsikot Forums mobile app

7. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    I wouldnt buy a car with a broken speedometer
    because that means the odometer isnt accurate anymore

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Lexus IS na lang. Hehehe

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Lexus IS na lang. Hehehe

agree with this.

sino ba nagsabi dito, "bimmers are money pits!"

personal thoughts lang po.
    i am sure, others' thoughts may differ.
    Last edited by dr. d; February 12th, 2023 at 09:19 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Some restomod inspiration...Reimagined by Redux.[emoji4]
    https://youtu.be/xgFt5tJUkNg

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tsikot Forums mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast