New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    someone told me that i can have my topcoat scraped and re-sprayed.

pwede ba ito? because if it's possible, i'd like to have a couple of coats of PPG clear coats to get a deeper shine. how much would it cost kaya?

and is the curing time for the topcoat the same as that of newly painted surfaces (90 days is quite long). thanks for the replies.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a good car painter discussed me that you can do that....to remove the topcoat....he'll have to sand paper the orig topcoat paint off (ewan ko lang kung kaya mong sikmurain yun!!!) with a fine grade sandpaper...para kumapit ang dating paint....then kung di compatible ang new paint mo (like acrylic ang base and urethane ang bagong topcoat) you have to spray it with a primer that is compatible dun sa new paint topcoat.

If you don't do that, malaki ang chance that the new PPG coat ay lolobo in the future. The secret daw sa paint is the foundation ....parang sa bahay din....kung ok ang pundasyon e hindi basta-basta kakalas ang paint mo. Depende sa color the car, the clear coat is usually "tinted" (or mixed with same color) muna and sprayed into the car....otherwise...kung purong clear lang daw e may chance na manilaw ito someday...lalo na kung laging bilad sa araw.

The best time daw to paint over a urethane to an acrylic paint base e yung halos bago pa lang itong napipintahan....pagka na wax na or nagoxidized na due to a very long period of time e hindi na puede na hindi mo ito papatungan ng paint primer (kakaiba pa ito epoxy primer).

Mahal ang project iyan....at least 20 thousand yan without the paint (unless hilamos lang ang gagawing trabaho diyan)

Matagal ba kamo???, unfortunately, all urethane are slow curing...acrylic lang ang mabilis matuyo...kung soshortcutin mo yung process ng urethane curing e nagsasayang ka lang ng pera....(puera lang kung may mahanap ka ng tunay na OVENBAKED painter e mas bibilis). As explained sa aking ng pintor ang tunay na oven baked paint e hindi po yung me ilaw na hi wattage lang para uminit but rather para talagang oven ng tinapay na naiseset accurately ang tamang curing temp ng chamber. Precission equipment ito and don't be fooled by those telling you that they OVENBAKE pero naka de bumbilya lang naman.

my 2 cents.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    thanks wildthing. 8) parang ang mahal yata ng 20k? hilamos na yun ah.:roll:

any other comments? i'll be having my bumper re-done early next year and would like to include the topcoat thing in my budget (kung kakasya).

topcoat question please