New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I understand that if you wanted to strip all the wax from your car (say, before doing prep work/cleaning/polishing), then it's okay to use Joy Ultra/degreasing dishwashing soap for the washing process.

Question: If I know I'm going to clean/remove oxidation and stuff (using 3M Finish Restorer, for example), must I "Joy Ultra Wash" the car? Won't the 3M Finish Restorer pretty much strip the car of all the wax anyway?

The reason I ask is because I plan to do the following:

1. "Joy Ultra Wash" the car;
    2. Clay the hood and roof (only those two);
    3. 3M Finish Restorer on hood and roof (only those two);
    4. Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish hood and roof;
    5. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze on hood and roof;
    6. Wax ENTIRE car (to protect whole car).

If you noticed, I have concentrated only on the hood and roof. That's because I want to do a really thorough job on those two, then, on the next weekend:

1. Wash the car (using Mother's Car Shampoo)
    do steps 2,3,4,5 on RIGHT SIDE of car
    6. Wax ENTIRE car.

To repeat and re-phrase the question above: since I already did a (hopefully) thorough job on some panels, but waxed the entire car, should I "Joy Ultra Wash" the panels I'm going to work on next? That would mean two different washes on different parts of the car, just so I could strip wax on one part (which I don't want to do on panels I have already intensively worked on).

--Alf

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If I know I'm going to clean/remove oxidation and stuff (using 3M Finish Restorer, for example), must I "Joy Ultra Wash" the car? Won't the 3M Finish Restorer pretty much strip the car of all the wax anyway?

your assumption is totally correct. The fact that after you clay + FR, you've pretty much got rid of whatever wax you had...

don't bother removing the old wax.. anything that has a cleaner function (whether abrasives or chemical) will remove old waxes quite rapidly anyway.

dont forget the before and after pics!!!

On Wax Stripping/Joy Ultra Washing