New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Hello, appreciate if you guys can advise me on my problem re: jerking when car is slowing down.

Now the car is almost 8 years old, when driven for a long time, there is a tranmission jerking when it is decelerating/slowing down during the time when it is about to stop. It usually happens when it is used for about an hour, also when exposed to heavy traffic.

I also noticed now that when heavy traffic, and outside temp reading is about 38C+, the cars water temp exceeds half and i have to turn off the aircon so that it will go back to half. It has been maintained since bought by AutoProminence and then shift to PGA (when dealership was taken by PGA), but last maintenance, PGA replaced a lot of hoses, etc.. but still problem.

I really like this car, it's my 1st euro car and ride, looks, and everything is ok with me. But this problem, is making me drive it less..

Your advise would highly be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Have you replaced the transmission fluid and its filter? If you haven't, I'll start there 8 years is a long time.

For the temp prob, you may want to flush your radiator and put in fresh coolant. Also check your fans if they are moving at the correct speed. While you are at it, check your fan relays.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Thanks. But already done those. PGA replaced tranmission fluid and filter recently. Also I replaced fans (dati with Autopominence) already (but not sure if PGA checked the relays, ok i will advise them to do it when i bring it again to try to find the jerking problem). Also, last PMS they replaced the coolant.

Anyway, thanks. Awaiting further advise from others, if any.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Look for someone with diagnostic scanner. Scan for fault codes if there are errors in the transmission. If you can't find somebody with diagnostic scanner, let me know.

"vwaudiparts.multiply.com/"

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    try to bring it to autotechnika at the fort. there are lot of audis being serviced there (& other euro cars), I'm sure they can help. thanks

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'll take your advise, thanks! I'll bring it to Autoteknica and see how it goes. As for the diagnostics/scanner, I don't know. After taking the car to this shop, and still does not solve it, I'll try it. Thanks again.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Scanner tool first.

Be careful when PGA claims they replaced the transmission fluid. I had a problem like that before, when we drained the transmission fluid at an independent shop, I was horrified to find that the fluid was only half full. I put new fluid at the right level and it was fine after.

Regarding your increased water temp, check out your coolant first make sure it's the right kind (G12, colored pink or orange) in the right proportion (50:50 minimum). If that is in order, try your radiator fan, make sure both modes work (hi & low speed). If that is in order, check your thermostat. If that is in order, it's likely your water pump, it's been known to fail in that particular model. The steel impeller corrodes and breaks, the upgraded factory part now uses a plastic impeller to counter corrosion.

I own a similar car and have restored it. The fan, thermostat and water pump all have been known to fail in the Audi A4. Hope it's not the water pump, it's a pain to reach cause it's buried inside the tight engine bay.

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    [quote=xtc844;1191278]I'll take your advise, thanks! I'll bring it to Autoteknica and see how it goes. As for the diagnostics/scanner, I don't know. After taking the car to this shop, and still does not solve it, I'll try it. Thanks again.[/quote

Regarding temperature have the radiator clean and replace the thermostat, make sure to get the right parts.

If you dont have a problem on the tranny except that jerking during stop and go, I would guess that either the motor mount or the tranny mount are gone.

There are two motor mounts that brake most often, 1 is the wishbone motor mount that is on top of the motor, in the center at the top it is easy to see and to change,you will need to lift the motor just a little to relieve the pressure. The other one is next to the firewall down under the car,close to your exhaust pipe, it is a strait motor mount and is not hard to change but a little unhandy getting to you.

The problem that could happen if you don't change the motor mounts is vibration on the engine that can affect your transmission. The seals in the transmission could get damaged and leak out your transmission fluid and this may damage your transmission if you don't catch it in time, so have the motor mounts and transmission mount inspect as soon as you can. I the mean time take it easy when you take off and don't gas it any more than you need too. Remember, its an 8 yrs old car.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Kendrick, V6D, thanks for the check items that could be the source of my problem. With all the other advices given here, this is good check list or guide in trouble shooting with the repair shop that was also recommended here. I have not taken it yet to the repair shop due to time constraints (anyway, m not using the car for now), but as soon as after I take it, I will share with you guys on what worked (hopefully).....thanks again for the advices.

2001 A4 automatic transmission jerking