New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

i am planning to do a diy of bearing replacement of my compressor bearing, while it is bolted into the car. is this possible to do?

2. Join Date
    May 2007
    We've meet again spyghost.

BEST, you must bring that compressor out in the table to do the work. Changing an idler pulley bearing is not easy task, I suggest you to bought and rent vacuum pump to evacuate those freon, A/C manual for Automotive Heating and Air conditioning the things you need before dismantling the A/C system.

GOOD. If you dont want to remove the compressor out of the engine you dont have to remove freon from the system to fix unless the compressor cant be move out of the way enough to get the clutch puller tool on it. You have to have a line of sight (parang sniper) on the shaft of the compressor to remove and reinstal the snap rings holding the clutch on once the bolts and front clutch plate is removed. Oh!! I forgat to mention that youll need a special tools to change clutch and bearing. If you do it yourself GOOOOOOOOOD Luck!!!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    since your going to do it yourself, do it properly na...

bakit mahal ka ba maningil ng labor kahit sa sarili mo?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    since your going to do it yourself, do it properly na...

bakit mahal ka ba maningil ng labor kahit sa sarili mo?
    haha, kuripot kasi ako

seriously, i just love tinkering and having a hands on experience specially with tech stuff. ang hirap kasi na magtiwala sa mga tumitingin dito.

it's like this, bring your car to an elec shop and tell them your problem, they'll say W/O any diagnostics that the problem is related to elec. bring it to a machine shop and again, W/O diagnostics, they would say that its the engine. same thing goes for other shops. i'm not saying na lahat e ganito, pero i think it would be best if i myself would know the littlest detail of my car. of course not to the extent that the wife will kick me out of the house and sleep in my beloved car

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    If you love fixing cars for hobby like yours truely, you have to have a book called "complete car repair manual" by CHILTONS or any publisher. It will guide you deep inside the engine that you've never seen before. Most people thought they cannot do it or afraid of playing mechanic, you'll be surprise your accomplishment once you start.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    it may be possible but not advisable to replace the the compressor bearing without taking out of the car the compressor. You will need a good bench vise
    to hold the compressor pulley while removing the nut. And take out the magnetic clutch assembly then there is a retaining clip for the bearing.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    just a follow up question, how much would it cost to replace the bearing? mukhang yun ang problema ng aircon ko ngayon

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    nagpalit ako ng compressor bearing 1.8k ung total.. di na tianggal ung freon. Parang ang mahal nga eh. 1k ung price ng bearing.

can i change bearing of compressor while in car?