New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    I don't know if piston type compressors are still common, but it is for old school cars. Ngayon kasi, scroll type na ang mga naka-kabit kasi mas efficient daw by 15%, and mas tahimik ang operation.

I have an old school car na bumigay ang piston compressor (beyond economic repair). So my dilemma is do I buy a new piston compressor (9k), or upgrade to the modern scroll but double the price (18k).

Syempre it is a given that the scroll is better. Pero worth it kaya yung extra 9k na investment? Double the price, but only 15% more efficient.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Have you checked prices for surplus compressors?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Depends if you want to keep your car for a few more years. If you plan to sell it in a year or whereabouts, install the cheaper one. Either one will work, but the return on investment with the more expensive one may not be realized if you only plan to keep the car for a short while.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    From R12 to R134A needs to evacuate and flush the system, replace all O- rings(preferred), replace drier, replace with R134A compatible oil or oil that comes with the new compressor.

What is the displacement of the original compressor? Sanden-508 means 5 pistons with 8 cubic inch/r of displacement.

Will the new compressor fit your car? it may hit other parts even with a modified bracket.

What type of pulley? newer types of compressors usually use serpentine belts.

The new variable displacement and scroll type compressors provides jerk-free, easy drivability, and fuel economy but....

compressor: scroll vs piston