New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Vitara overheated last night. Cooling system was bone dry. The engine fan and electric fan apparently both work. Coolant, all major filters, spark plugs, and all major fluids are around 7,000kms. old.

Afrasay's cousin, Ferdie, took a look at it today. He is suspecting a cylinder head gasket leak (hence no obvious leaks on the garage floor). He is also suspecting a bad waterpump (the rig is nearing 90,000kms).

His suggestion is to replace the cylinder head gasket, water pump, and thermostat [dahil baklas na din lahat]. Since the rig is almost 90,000kms, sabi I suggested doing a t-belt replacement if the engine will be taken apart anyways.

Labor for replacing the t-belt, t-belt tensioner, head gasket, water pump, and thermostat is Php2,000 (Php1,800 if without t-belt and t-belt tensioner replacement). Fair enough ba? Two days to finish. Mag-isa lang siyang gagawa.

Here is his suggested shopping list:
    -OEM Head Gasket
    -Water pump
    -Thermostat
    -OEM T-belt
    -OEM T-belt tensioner
    -Radiator cap (dinagdag ko lang, wala akong tiwala dun sa 'HKT' na rad cap)

Inputs would be appreciated. Any idea about the prices of these parts and where they can be sourced at reasonable cost?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    IMO the labor cost is very reasonable. heck on the "napapaso ang mekaniko" mazda 323 and 626 the t-belt labor alone costs about that much..

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    our vitara timing belt replacement labor cost=2.2k. last jan lang.
    tb-1850 oem
    tensioner- 1720 oem
    pilhino prices yan. similar naman presyo sa iba (links banawe)
    yun oil seals i cant remember pero mura lang. replacement (nok yata yun)

two months ago same problem yun vit sa overheat.
    head gasket-18++. oem
    labor- 2.5k

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Agree, labor cost is reasonable enough.

Bro about parts, try mo pumasok sa suzuki car club d2, maraming member doon ng vitarantados club and more or less makapagbibigay cla sa 'yo ng options sa mga parts at availability kung saan makakabili ng mura.

Alam ko kinukunan nila ay "olympia" sa banawe, not sure though if kumpleto.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    two months ago same problem yun vit sa overheat.
    head gasket-18++. oem
    labor- 2.5k
    ganun ka mahal ang head gasket?

friend of mine got a warped head due to overheat. ang alam ko he paid 16k for a surplus head.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    replace all head bolts,you'll never know which one is over stretch. Might as well replace the valve guides and seals.Make sure to torque the head bolts to oem specs.That's the one thing i love in the phil. the labor is fuc$ing cheap.Usually the problem with your car,it will run you $1500 or more.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ok, we decided to step back a little. I took out the thermostat earlier tonight (with much swearing as I had forgotten to bring my socket wrench set and breaker bar). Unfortunately, I could not bench test it on the spot (long story). What I did note was that the thermostat was rust colored all over (ain't it supposed to be silver when new?) and that it was quite difficult to move.

The former owner (the unit was acquired August 2005) also used liquid gasket (instead of OEM gasket) and much of it ended up inside the thermostat housing. I even had a hard time breaking the thermostat free due to the abundance of liquid gasket.

Is it ok if we just swap in a new thermostat, thermostat gasket, and new OEM radiator cap first then observe for overheating?

What are good signs of a blown head gasket?

reniram,
    Yep, I'm also in contact with some Vitarantados regarding the problem. Olympia has a good selection of OEM parts, but their selection of replacement parts is a bit expensive (I just use replacements for consumables). But since we're planning to use OEM parts, they're worth a try. Links in Banawe is another shop they recommend for Vitara-specific OEM parts.
    Last edited by OTEP; November 4th, 2006 at 10:56 PM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if you pull the head then replace the valve seals. getting a replacement overhauling gasket might be better at least all of the parts are included.

after replacing the thermostat, check to see if the water jumps out when you start the car and the rad is full. if it does, then it's time to open up the head.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Buti dyan, P2000 lang labor for rebuilding an engine! Eh dito sa US, $1000 for a completely rebuilt engine (labor lang ha).

Doc, how is the engine oil? Malapot ba? You mentioned no garage floor leaks, so the coolant has to go somewhere...

Is your exhaust smoke white?

Good (good nga ba?) signs of a blown headgasket:

-White exhaust smoke (burning coolant)
    -Muddy/milky/murky brown oil color
    -Loss of coolant with no external leaks

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Wala akong nakikitang smoke (that's the first place I looked). Yung oil maitim naman. Yung loss of coolant lang.

Possible kayang barado lang yung thermostat causing water to escape as steam? Hindi ko din sure kung tumitingin sa gauge yung nagmamaneho ng Vitara, eh. hehehe. Yung a/c comp bearing medyo maingay din nga (napansin ko lang nitong nag-overheat na). Try ko muna ayusin cooling system issues bago ko padala kay Mang Mario.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Vitara Overheat [ang dami atang overheat threads =D ]