New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    We live in a warm climate, and for (most) general city driving, we seldom have need to use the rear defoggers. For vehicles with rear wipers, that would often be more than enough.

I’ve never used them tuloy on any of our vehicles, so my question is, has anyone used them with a tinted rear windshield, and nakakasira ba ng tint?

Sensitive kasi magpa-retint ng rear windshield and pag minalas ka sa di marunong/tamad na gagawa, sisirain din yung defogger wires, so I’d rather try to keep the tint intact. Baka minsan mapindot nga bata etc., di mo mapansin (though manuals say may auto shut off safety features ito- kontra overheat/battery drain), and makita mo na lang, na damage na yung tint. I don't really know what will happen kasi I've never tried it and don't want to chance it.

Note: Generic question lang sa tint, regardless of brand, kasi iba iba din ang tint sa vehicles namin, ranging from Vcool to 3M & Lumina...

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    We live in a warm climate, and for (most) general city driving, we seldom have need to use the rear defoggers. For vehicles with rear wipers, that would often be more than enough.

I’ve never used them tuloy on any of our vehicles, so my question is, has anyone used them with a tinted rear windshield, and nakakasira ba ng tint?

Sensitive kasi magpa-retint ng rear windshield and pag minalas ka sa di marunong/tamad na gagawa, sisirain din yung defogger wires, so I’d rather try to keep the tint intact. Baka minsan mapindot nga bata etc., di mo mapansin (though manuals say may auto shut off safety features ito- kontra overheat/battery drain), and makita mo na lang, na damage na yung tint. I don't really know what will happen kasi I've never tried it and don't want to chance it.

Note: Generic question lang sa tint, regardless of brand, kasi iba iba din ang tint sa vehicles namin, ranging from Vcool to 3M & Lumina...
    on very rare occasions i have used the rear defogger. minsan nga naiwanan ko na din yun on in dry conditions for an extended period. di pa naman "naluto" o na damage yung rear tint o defogger ko. ang take away ko it gets very rare use that it is not enough or causes negligible damage that you do not have to worry about it. ang naiiisip ko lang na problem is if walang covered parking yung car at extreme old age ng tint exposed sa sunlight majority of its life.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Palagay ko, these things shouldn't be installed na lang for vehicles sold in this market- unnecessary added expense to the sales price (although dealers like that though kaya malabo mangyari yun).

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I've used mine several times. Particularly helpful during the rainy season and a few times we were in Baguio and Tagaytay. If there's high humidity and you have your A/C either cranked up or somehow pointed at the rear window, you get condensation. Wipers can help, but it'll only take a few seconds before the glass is covered in condensation again. The only way to keep the glass clear is to use the defogger.

Whether or not they can harm your tint depends on a few things... Quality and age of the tint, how hot the defogger can become, and if it has a built-in timer or thermostat. The latter two factors are vehicle-dependent.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    We have the Platinum tint out of the casa. Other than the usual fading due to 10 years of existence, the tint came out to be quite good. I use the defogger very seldom but it didint damage the tint in anyway.

We just replace the tint a few days ago.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    I removed the fuse for the rear defogger...

Lots of vehicles with bubbles in their rear window tint because they forgot to turn off the rear defogger....

7. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    i never hesitate to use the rear defogger. tint is fine even on my oldest car which is almost 17yo, still on the original tint

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post

i've used it several times.
    after many years,
    my tint didn't seem to mind.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Rear defogger was quite useful to me during those muggy days. Most of the cars I had would turn it off automatically after the condensation on the glass cleared. Not sure the switch was time based or not but it always turned off by itself. Hindi ba ganito most cars these days?