New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Yung mga tint such as V-kool, solar gard, etc... do they interfere with in-dash GPS units?

Yung GPS unit ko kasi mounted sa dashboard (without external antenna) and now planning of putting tint dahil sobra na init dito sa UAE. Kaso I wanted a product that will not interfere sa signal ng GPS.

Please advice naman.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i've heard about interferance with radar/laser detectors having issues with tints... so maybe it could affect your gps unit... but don't quote me on that...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by knightblade
    Yung mga tint such as V-kool, solar gard, etc... do they interfere with in-dash GPS units?

Yung GPS unit ko kasi mounted sa dashboard (without external antenna) and now planning of putting tint dahil sobra na init dito sa UAE. Kaso I wanted a product that will not interfere sa signal ng GPS.

Please advice naman.

Hindi nakakalusot ang E-pass ko under V-kool.

Nilalabas ko pa ngayon sa window pag ginagamit ko.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2006

Please advice naman.
    i can't directly say about the tint but IMHO, a good GPS signal can be achieved with a really good coverage, read no obstructions, for atleast 180deg so you can pick up the minimum number of satellites. That's based on my experience on the job. And metal can block these signals. I don't really know how these tints are made but if they contain enough metal in them they could possibly be doing an umbrella effect on your in-dash unit, not to mention the effect of your car's ceiling. The same thing goes to other transmitting devices which are using a nearby (or same frequency) as that of your receiver.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005

Please advice naman.
    I have to cut a small hole in my V-Kool tinted windshield so that it won't interfere with the E-Pass frequency, it might be the same with GPS but I'm not sure.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i have a GPS receiver and i'm using it in my car with fully tinted windshield (3M), ok naman ang reception.
    Signature

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Please advice naman.
    yes, especially if the tint has some metal.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    I just got Solar Gard (high performance) installed... walang problema sa GPS signal.

I went yesterday to a V-kool distributor and tested my GPS. One car was having 40 and the other was 75. In both cases, they gave a very poor reception to my GPS.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi
    i have a GPS receiver and i'm using it in my car with fully tinted windshield (3M), ok naman ang reception.
    fully 3M tinted windshield good reception on the honda civic.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Hi

Yes. Tint affects GPS signals. To be more technically precise, it lowers the signal strength (it doesnt interfere in the Comm's Sense though). You can observe the lower SNR if your console has a SNR plot of the Satellites.

Tints are filters to EM Waves. Good GPS receivers however dont get out of lock when singal strength is low. But it might affect accuracy.

Duke

http://philgpsusers.blogspot.com/

Do car tint interfere with GPS signals???