New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Chief View Post
    How's the ride of the Jetta compared to older BMW 3 series like the E90 na halos ka presyo niya?
    Haven't driven any BMW . Test drive those that are for sale. I'm seeing some in OLX. There is even a red 1.4 TSI na twin charged.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    How's the ride of the Jetta compared to older BMW 3 series like the E90 na halos ka presyo niya?
    The Jetta is FWD while the 3-series are RWD. The Jetta drives more like a Civic but a bit heavier, more planted. Proportions and interiors though make it feel like an Altis but with a firmer/stiffer suspension. The 3-series and similar Euros (Merc C-class, Audi A4) are known to be have a firm (stiff) ride.

We have the 1.6L TDI and it has ample torque down low that makes it good fro daily driving, better than the usual crop of 1.6L gas-powered compacts. Not much power on the top end but it can cruise steadily at 160 kmh on the highway. The 2.0L TDI model is quicker and has more power on the top end.

I have not driven the 1.4L TSI model of the Jetta but only the Golf 1.4L TSI model. It may not be as quick as the Golf GTi model but it is quicker than the usual 2.0L NA compacts. Not Civic RS quick, more like the Mazda3 2.0L and Focus 1.5L Ecoboost. The steering response is great and the car offers a decent amount of grip.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The Jetta is FWD while the 3-series are RWD. The Jetta drives more like a Civic but a bit heavier, more planted. Proportions and interiors though make it feel like an Altis but with a firmer/stiffer suspension. The 3-series and similar Euros (Merc C-class, Audi A4) are known to be have a firm (stiff) ride.

We have the 1.6L TDI and it has ample torque down low that makes it good fro daily driving, better than the usual crop of 1.6L gas-powered compacts. Not much power on the top end but it can cruise steadily at 160 kmh on the highway. The 2.0L TDI model is quicker and has more power on the top end.

I have not driven the 1.4L TSI model of the Jetta but only the Golf 1.4L TSI model. It may not be as quick as the Golf GTi model but it is quicker than the usual 2.0L NA compacts. Not Civic RS quick, more like the Mazda3 2.0L and Focus 1.5L Ecoboost. The steering response is great and the car offers a decent amount of grip.
    Hi sir, first tanong ko baka nasa JCP fb group din kayo?

Anyway, there are two 1.4 TSI engines. Turbo charged and the other is twin charged which is the CTHD engine code. The CTHD ( I have this in my Jetta) is 160HP/250n-m and that performance arrives early at 1500 rpm. The supercharger takes care of the low rpm band . I think it is quicker in short burst in short distances. I will need to check the golf tsi if it has the same cthd engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1p4TSI View Post
    Hi sir, first tanong ko baka nasa JCP fb group din kayo?

Anyway, there are two 1.4 TSI engines. Turbo charged and the other is twin charged which is the CTHD engine code. The CTHD ( I have this in my Jetta) is 160HP/250n-m and that performance arrives early at 1500 rpm. The supercharger takes care of the low rpm band . I think it is quicker in short burst in short distances. I will need to check the golf tsi if it has the same cthd engine.

Sorry bro, not part of that group.

The 1.4T model here is rated only at 150Hp/250Nm. The turbo spools early, just below 2k rpm much like how the Ecoboost engines behave but less turbo lag. On the Golf 1.4T, power delivery is quite good.

I did test drive the Jetta 2.0L TDI but this was the first few models and it was priced a bit high before (1.5M). More torque than the 1.6TDI and power delivery is better (105hp/250Nm vs 150hp/320Nm). The car drives more like an older generation midsize sedan (7th gen Accord like).

One thing I like about the Jetta or Golf or Passat is that they are solidly built. Our family has two sedans now (Jetta 1.6TDI and Civic 1.5T) and the Jetta feels more rock solid. The Jetta is a lot more efficient (500 pesos worth of diesel from Paranaque to Clark).

5. Join Date
    Aug 2013

The 1.4T model here is rated only at 150Hp/250Nm. The turbo spools early, just below 2k rpm much like how the Ecoboost engines behave but less turbo lag. On the Golf 1.4T, power delivery is quite good.

I did test drive the Jetta 2.0L TDI but this was the first few models and it was priced a bit high before (1.5M). More torque than the 1.6TDI and power delivery is better (105hp/250Nm vs 150hp/320Nm). The car drives more like an older generation midsize sedan (7th gen Accord like).

One thing I like about the Jetta or Golf or Passat is that they are solidly built. Our family has two sedans now (Jetta 1.6TDI and Civic 1.5T) and the Jetta feels more rock solid. The Jetta is a lot more efficient (500 pesos worth of diesel from Paranaque to Clark).
    How would you compare it to the older 3 Series?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2017

I just learned that the early 1.4 tsi jettas are single charged and I was lucky then to get the twin charged last Feb 2017 . You’re right to say it is rock solid. The rear suspension setup is premium and is big factor in the way the car handles.

Anyway, expect the rear pads to wear out first. Mine is at 30k km now and just replaced the rear pads with Brembo pads. The front pads is still thick for some reason. But one thing is sure, my braking power is superb with the 312mm front rotor disk (1.6 and 2.0 tdi has 288mm).

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    How would you compare it to the older 3 Series?
    The 3-series has always set the standard for compact cars. My experience with an old 3-series was with an E46 platform (nimble and solid platforms if paired with a decent powerplant). RWD cars behave differently than FWD cars - Drive and steering are all on the front with a FWD car while on a RWD car, steering is in front while drive is at the rear. Also, if going with BMW, get one with a more powerful engine. A heavy chassis in a RWD layout with an anaemic engine is not something to rave about.

Another thing, buying a BMW is different than owning a BMW. Be wary of the maintenance cost associated with a premium brand. If buying used, I suggest a reliable Japanese car.

If you want a good-handling Japanese car with ample power plus a premium interior, check out an Accord. It's one of the best FWD cars available on the market. If you want more grip and power, look for a Subaru Legacy GT (2.5L turbo in an AWD setup).

8. Join Date
    Feb 2015

Because it almost weighs like a midsize sedan. Curb weights:
    1470kg Jetta TDI 2.0
    1542kg Accord
    1545kg Camry
    1577kg Mazda 6
    1226kg Civic

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617