New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    A 2006 starex should be great for your trip for the reasons mentioned by GH. Fairly comfortable and spacious. That would be fun. do let us know what you decided to get. Then let us know also when you are passing by manila so we can cheer you on!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    The Starex gets the nod. Thanks to all for the helpful tips and reminders.

The driver would be myself(58) and my co-driver is my wife (49) with 3-5 children ages from 13 to 18.

I intend to travel during the day and rest in a hotel at night.

The itinerary would be: Gensan - Davao City- Cagayan De Oro-Dapitan. Then ride roro for Dumaguete City.

Next is overland ride to Bacolod City then roro to Iloilo City. Land travel to Caticlan, Panay then board roro to Calapan, Mindoro. From there next would be roro to Batangas port...Manila

I don't like to drive in Manila so I may request my bro in law to drive me out of Manila towards the North....Wheeew. I wonder if I could do this.

I searched the forum but I could not find much info.

I don't know. I am choosing either a used crdi Starex or a new Innova E diesel with AT tranny for my vehicle. If the trip pushed thru we would be in a group of several vehicles...safety in numbers.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    e150 with AT tires na yan!!! tested na by land from manila to bohol. via masbate.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    any of the good midsize to fullsize suv could do the job
    5 lang kayo bbyahe diba? my wish-to-drive este my pick este my options would be:
    Tribeca
    Forester
    Land Cruiser
    CX9
    Outlander <--- out everything. yeah~ hehe
    CRV
    Rav4
    Alterra
    Santa Fe
    Carens
    Previa? Grandis?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by willvill View Post
    The Starex gets the nod. Thanks to all for the helpful tips and reminders.

The driver would be myself(58) and my co-driver is my wife (49) with 3-5 children ages from 13 to 18.

I intend to travel during the day and rest in a hotel at night.

The itinerary would be: Gensan - Davao City- Cagayan De Oro-Dapitan. Then ride roro for Dumaguete City.

Next is overland ride to Bacolod City then roro to Iloilo City. Land travel to Caticlan, Panay then board roro to Calapan, Mindoro. From there next would be roro to Batangas port...Manila

I don't like to drive in Manila so I may request my bro in law to drive me out of Manila towards the North....Wheeew. I wonder if I could do this.

I searched the forum but I could not find much info.

I don't know. I am choosing either a used crdi Starex or a new Innova E diesel with AT tranny for my vehicle. If the trip pushed thru we would be in a group of several vehicles...safety in numbers.
    Sir, 7 people kayo. Kung innova, wala nang space for cargo. Get the starex

In any case, the rear seats of the innova aren't very comfortable

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    the starex will do the job well. i also drive my mother in law's AT starex, it is a bit slow pero crdi pala kukunin mo so should be ok. driving through manila shouldn't be that bad. from the south thru SLEX then EDSA then NLEX then SCTEX, wow that should be fun! send me a pm if you need help here in manila. i will give you my contact #. you may go to very nice places in the north: la union, vigan, batac, paoway, currimao, laoag, don't miss the bangui windmills, pagudpud, then cagayan on the way back, maybe banawe rice terraces, then back down south again. i'm sure you will bring a map or travel guide. my wife and i used to have long drives around luzon and mindanao and we just bring a road map and our trusty "lonely planet" travel guide book. dun kami nakakahanap ng good places to stay with contact #s so you may contact them to check room availability even before you reach them. when do you intend to go?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    scharnhorst* i agree the 3rd row of the innova is cramped. the innova would be good for 5 people.

toybox* i appreciate your offer of help and your number. we will need all the help out there.

As to schedule, nothing definite. Am still selling the idea to my brods who are also travel and adventure afficionados and my neighbors here.

The schedule should fall during off season like april or may during school break. Christmas time is not and june.

The trip will last for a month and should more or less give me a taste in my sight and buds what the Philippines is. As a history teacher in high school, the trip should now inject more realism to what I taught before...like Dapitan...i could see where Rizal walked and lived during his banishment there.

Posts of tsikoteers about their experiences while travelling this SNRH from Batangas to Davao should give more assurance to those planning to take this route.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    make sure you buy a travel book/guide like lonely planet. it is a must to make your trip planned very well. it has detailed road maps, places to stay, contact #s, travel tips, what to do, not to do. BRING YOUR DIGICAM and laptop to download/ cd burn photos. yes, will benefit your history teaching very much. nasa travel book lahat ng historic places. funny, this lonely planet book is written by a foreigner and he knows more about our country than most pinoys.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Ito lang masasabi ko, whatever ride you will use----make sure your vehicle has a good ground clearance. Do away with those skirts and chins. Why? During loading at RORO ships at the pier, the angle of the loading/unloading ramp may be too acute depending on the tides. Baka sasabit causing delays and inconveniences.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    if you dont go off road pwede kahit anong car especially SUV

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
What's the best car for travelling around the Phil