New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    in a controlled crash, they dump the fuel before "going in".
    not all aircrafts are equipped with fuel dumping capability. smaller, newer aircraft are not equipped with this... like B-737 or the A320 series. there are basically two restrictions as to when you can dump fuel to prevent catastrophic result on land dwellers - 1. You must be at least 6,000' above ground level, and 2. you must be over water. (where possible) to ensure that fuel droplets are fully vaporized.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I think I remember an episode of the Myth Busters where they tested that it is safer to be in coach rather than in first or business class. It has something to do with the brace position when crash landing. If you are in coach the seat infront of you will give you some protection while the seats in first class don't since they are farther apart!

Correct me if that's wrong since I was not really paying attention to the show!

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    [SIZE=2]I am a frequent flyer as well..I don't mind if I am seated in front, at the middle or at the rear of the plane as long as I can get a seat near the window, where I can view the landscape of the country where the plane will take off and land.
    I've seen a lot of airplane disaster featured in National geographic..if you're 35 thou ft above the ground there is no place in the plane which is safe..if it is really your time…you can't avoid it..there is no place to hide when disasters come.
    [/SIZE]

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    ako lagi talaga sa likod. mas may chance na ma recover body ko pag dun ako kung di man ako maka survive. nose dive kadalasan ang plane e. isa pang advantage is malapit ako sa cr.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    so where on the F14 does BB sit?... he said he likes to be sitting behind the wings so he could see them flapping open/close.
    baka whisper wings

joks lang hehehe

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Pano pag nasa toilet ka?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    baka whisper wings

joks lang hehehe
    pssst... behave ka muna dyan.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    nakakahilo ang likod, mas ok sa akin ung over wing na seats... tama lng ang bounce... sarap sumakay ng plane pero pag nag airpocket jus meyo . . . . .

9. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    nice info po sir!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm a frequent traveler and when travelling economy, I've always seat at the last row window seat of the airplane, whenever its available. Why? Because of the following reasons.

1. When boarding, they always let the passengers seated at the rear of the plane first. This is an advantage because you are sure that the overhead bins above your seat would still be empty.

2. The seats at the last row near the window are only 2 seat abreast to the aisle. That means that the going to the lavatory, you only have to bother one person rather than two elsewhere.

3. Since its also 2 seat abreast, there is a little bit extra elbow room for you and if you're lucky, nobody is seated beside you because not everbody wants to seat near the tail (before this thread started).

4. For SQ flights (Boeing 777), the galley is at the back and they serve food from the back to the front. So, you get served first.

5. Easy access to the lavatories at the back of the plane.

6. Importantly, the emergency exit is just behind you. So again, you could be the first one out of the plane.

7. The area where the emergency exit is can be used as a stretching area for long flights.

8. The blackboxes of the airplane is always situated at the tail of the plane because the aircraft engineers know that it will be the only place that it will have a high likelihood of surviving.

However, there are some cons to it.

1. The tail section does take a whipping during turbulence.

2. Upon disembarking the plane, you'll be the last passenger out and this translates to being the last person in line at immigration, not unless you walk very fast.

3. I heard some planes lavatories stink at the back but I never had that experience yet.

4. Depending on the plane, it is possible that you'll be the one last served food. And in certain cases, you can't choose between chicken or fish because the chicken just ran out.

I wonder what the statistics say about seating at the second floor of a 747. JAL's economy class extends to the second floor and I always seat there when I take JAL because you have extra leg room.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Safest seats for surviving Plane Crash - Rear Seats