New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    This year up to October, I flew 35 domestic flights in PAL (hence, my membership level was upgraded to ELITE - thus, my avatar), 4 in Cebu Pacific, and 2 in Air Philippines.

COCKTALES
    Lies, damned lies, and PAL-CebuPac statistics

By Victor Agustin
    Inquirer
    Last updated 00:07am (Mla time) 10/30/2006

Published on page B4 of the October 30, 2006 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer

THE GLOVES ARE OFF BETWEEN Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific.

PAL, which long suffered in silence against the Gokongwei airline’s pointed TV ads about its “late” image, last week came blazing out with print ads to dispute CebuPac’s latest claim that it has finally dethroned the Lucio Tan airline in the domestic passenger market.

“Let’s get real,” PAL harrumphed in a series of full-page ads in key newspapers, as it cited full-year domestic passenger figures until August 2006.

Based on Civil Aeronautics Board records, PAL still had a commanding lead of 48.8 percent over the 30.8-percent market share of “Airline No. 2” within the same period.

“Who is the Real No. 1 Domestic Airline?” PAL asked, even emblazoning the phrase “Real No. 1” in fiery red color amid a sea of black letters.

(The ad agency behind the series is the little-known K Ad.)

So, who is telling the truth? Well, ironically, both.

Whereas PAL chose to look at a one-year historical snapshot, Cebu Pacific CEO Lance Gokongwei focused on the latest, in-house figures from Oct. 1-15 to claim that the JG Summit subsidiary has finally reached pole position, a good 10 years after its founding.

According to Cebu Pacific, the airline flew a total of 148,578 passengers in the first 15 days of this month as against PAL’s 144,167, or the equivalent of 45.337-percent market share as against PAL’s 44.02 percent.

Whether this trend would hold the industry would know after tomorrow, when October shall be over.

Still, judging from the Gokongwei confidence in both ads and press statements, final passenger statistics will validate youthful exuberance.

But, then again, PAL’s Kapitan has an ace up his sleeve, and it is called Air Philippines.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    mag away sila kung gusto nila. but for me, grabe talaga ang pal. super late lagi. i have encountered a lot of delays sa airline na to. sometimes i benefit din kasi pag umaga flight minsan late akong dumating so nakakahabol pa ako.

pero pag balik the same day, laging delayed ang flight maski na around 4pm ang uwi mo magiging around 8pm. everytime na tinatawag yung mga pasehero ng cebu pacific lagi kung naaalala yung commercial nila na lagi silang on time.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I always take the morning flight of both airlines para minimal ang late ng departures. Lately 5j late palagi during the 3rd turn around plane from manila mga after 12 noon flights from manila. Grabe mag maximize ng plane ang 5j up to the last minute drop of fuel sila. With PAL they are begining to improve their scheduled after they got new planes. [SIZE="5"]I don't care who is no.1 as long they provide good service, good value and on-time departure. Passengers na ang bahala who is num ero uno.[/SIZE]

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Lured into their promos, I took Cebu Pacific twice this year. Once to Cebu, another trip to Puerto Princesa. At both times I experienced terrible delays and their airport counters had one of the worst customer service I've experienced much like PAL's during their slump in the 90's. Both carriers must upgrade their systems and customer service to world class standards to become 'real' airlines first even probably before they upgrade their fleet.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    cebu pac ako. mas mga bata ang stewardess.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    5J must upgrade their frontline people (agency lang kasi sila). PAL must retire some of the lola and lolo flight attendant sa international flight.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    I used to be a die hard Cebu Pacific passenger. But when they expanded their services, nag deteriorate na rin ang quality. Madami na rin rin silang mga delays. They have also cancelled their miles promo. Since then i have transferred to PAL. Pareho na lang sila pati sa pricing and promos. Mas maganda pa at convenient ang terminal ng PAL.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    i prefer PAL but this is good for flyers, competition is always good

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    when we went to davao city last july, grabe ang delay ng flights ng cebupac. more than 2hrs late papunta at pabalik.

but when we took cebupac from HK to manila, on time naman nakaalis.

Q: totoo bang wala ng free meals on board ang PAL for the MNL-HKG flight?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OT: what happened pala to Grandair?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
PAL or Cebu Pacific