New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Convenience-wise, you cant beat AT, But going all out in a 2.0L with MT still makes me smile.

But the ultimate for me would be a manumatic.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2003
    my uncle who lives in Texas for 3 decades does'nt know how to use a manual.

i'd go with A/T too... kakapagod pag long drive and traffic... last car ko was a Manual and I had so many troubles with the tranny. But nothing beats a manual if you have a beastly torquey powerful engine!!! Iba pa rin yun nakakapag burn out hehehe

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy
    Just look at what A/T has done for F1. For gosh sakes, the damn computer even adjusts the revs to the right shift points to maximize speed and acceleration. All you have to do is step on the pedal and shift the gears on the wheel!

You cannot include a Formula One transmission for comparison in this discussion. It is in a league of its own due to its highly customized design built especially for racing.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if the local traffic condition wasn't as bad as it is today, I would prefer a m/t... but with reality sinking in, an A/T is almost a requirement to survive daily driving in metro manila.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Also due to the fact that F1 transmissions are not automatics (with torque converters), but are actually computer shifted manuals. The driver also has a clutch "pedal" on the steering wheel which is used for starting from a standing stop.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaelrules
    Also due to the fact that F1 transmissions are not automatics (with torque converters), but are actually computer shifted manuals. The driver also has a clutch "pedal" on the steering wheel which is used for starting from a standing stop.

Nadale mo batang-bata.

7. Join Date
    May 2005
    Diba sequential gearbox ang gamit sa F1? Kahit sa WRC sequential manual din, although kelangan pa rin ng clutch for take-off. I don't know where I heard this, but Renault tried to use CVT in their race cars and the result was the car was always 1 second quicker than before.

Sophisticated race transmissions doesn't have torque converters?, but the computer compensates for the engine response(parang double clutching at the speed of light during downshifting) during and after a shift has been initiated by the driver. Usually, the computer sends a signal to the driver when the engine power peaks and that's the time when to upshift optimally.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mikaelrules
    I learn something new everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyFerrari
    You cannot include a Formula One transmission for comparison in this discussion. It is in a league of its own due to its highly customized design built especially for racing.
    Can you believe it? A hightech tranny being compared with a conventional daily driver tranny?

You two deserves a rep points!

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelparadigm
    Diba sequential gearbox ang gamit sa F1? Kahit sa WRC sequential manual din, although kelangan pa rin ng clutch for take-off. I don't know where I heard this, but Renault tried to use CVT in their race cars and the result was the car was always 1 second quicker than before.
    yup.

i'll try to look for that road and track issue where they featured that williams-renault f1 cvt test model.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i say those manufacturers should not discriminate M/T as a low class Citizen

Hehehehehe

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Are we becoming an A/T country?