New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    some transmission require that especially those without dipstick.. sa mazda 3 service manual, it is required to drain the ATF when the fluid temp is around 50 deg C.
    You drive it to the shop and its warm...

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    ATF kasi expands.. so you get more out when its hot..
    Apparently, when the mechanic drained the ATF it was still hot kasi kasabay sya sa pag-drain ng engine oil (nag-pa change oil din ako). The ATF drained was around 3 liters so "marami" yung na drain na 3 liters? did I get you right? since 3 liters yung na-drain 3 liters din yung linagay pag-fill up. Tama ba yun?

Should I be worried about what was done to my tranny? Should I go to Toyota to check if nothing was done wrong or the ATF was still enough? This morning I checked if meron bang tulo pero wala na man....

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Normal drain and refill will do if you are changing tranny fluid within short intervals like 40k km. If it is done over a long period, you can do the dialysis method. If you have no dialysis machine, you can do drain and refill in a multiple sessions until you have used up a total volume needed. On your case, maybe 3 drain and refill sessions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Apparently, when the mechanic drained the ATF it was still hot kasi kasabay sya sa pag-drain ng engine oil (nag-pa change oil din ako). The ATF drained was around 3 liters so "marami" yung na drain na 3 liters? did I get you right? since 3 liters yung na-drain 3 liters din yung linagay pag-fill up. Tama ba yun?

Should I be worried about what was done to my tranny? Should I go to Toyota to check if nothing was done wrong or the ATF was still enough? This morning I checked if meron bang tulo pero wala na man....
    since ATF expands when hot, the 3 liters you got is expanded.. so when it cools, that 3 liters maybe 2.5 liters only (my assumption only.. not exact figure but we all know ATF expands when hot that is why we have "hot zone" and "cool zone" in the dip stick)

now since you put 3 liters of room temp ATF, when it gets hot, it will expand resulting to overfill of 500ml of ATF..

i believe, fortuner transmission (without dipstick) in the drain plug, there is a small plastic "straw" protruding in the oil pan that maintains the ATF level.. at the manufacturer specified temp, the ATF expansion will just be enough to level on that "straw".

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    since ATF expands when hot, the 3 liters you got is expanded.. so when it cools, that 3 liters maybe 2.5 liters only (my assumption only.. not exact figure but we all know ATF expands when hot that is why we have "hot zone" and "cool zone" in the dip stick)

now since you put 3 liters of room temp ATF, when it gets hot, it will expand resulting to overfill of 500ml of ATF..

i believe, fortuner transmission (without dipstick) in the drain plug, there is a small plastic "straw" protruding in the oil pan that maintains the ATF level.. at the manufacturer specified temp, the ATF expansion will just be enough to level on that "straw".
    Thanks for the reply. Granting that there was some excess of the ATF, would by AT be destroyed?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Finally had an atf filter change kanina along w/ the usual atf change on my civic fd2. Mukhang ok pa naman and walang mga metal shavings na unusual according to the mechanic.

Ito Pala iyong in-line atf filter nya

img_20230104_110544.jpg

Sent from my RMX3690 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Last edited by baludoy; January 4th, 2023 at 02:01 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    How many kms na ang FD mo Sir?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^ 152k ++ kms na din tinakbo niya bosing

Sent from my RMX3690 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Transmission fluid change - A/T