New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    ask ko lang po ano po bang dapat brand gamitin sa Honda vtec98 A/T na transmission fluid mag ppalit po kasi ako..wala po kasi ako alam sa mga auto..hope you can help me..

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    OEM fluid; Honda ATF-Z1

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    OEM fluid; Honda ATF-Z1
    saan po cia pede bilin and my idea po ba kau mag kano po kaya cost nun?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Forgot the price na. It's available at any Honda casa.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oiknez View Post
    ask ko lang po ano po bang dapat brand gamitin sa Honda vtec98 A/T na transmission fluid mag ppalit po kasi ako..wala po kasi ako alam sa mga auto..hope you can help me..

oiknez,
    the issue here is compatibility not the brand. sometime during the very last part of '80s, one customer complained about the price of the then mercedes benz atf at 25 usd for a quart. the very same content, quality and compatibility specified in the motor/age, chilton and alldata repair manuals were found in valvoline, mobil, toyota atf for a price of 5 usd per quart. the question here is: didn't they come from the same oil fields? as long as they are petroleum based or synthetic and they are compatible, they work just as fine
    jick

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    oiknez,
    the issue here is compatibility not the brand. sometime during the very last part of '80s, one customer complained about the price of the then mercedes benz atf at 25 usd for a quart. the very same content, quality and compatibility specified in the motor/age, chilton and alldata repair manuals were found in valvoline, mobil, toyota atf for a price of 5 usd per quart. the question here is: didn't they come from the same oil fields? as long as they are petroleum based or synthetic and they are compatible, they work just as fine
    jick
    To some extent, I do agree with this. But there has been reports of Honda A/T breaking down when a supposedly compatible aftermarket ATF was used. Heresay or not, I wouldn't bet my A/T's life on it. Besides, unlike MB's ATF, the Honda ATF-Z1 isn't exactly overpriced. Spending maybe 30% more (just a wild guess) compared to aftermarket ATF is still viable especially when you're only doing ATF changes typically every 1-2 years.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    To some extent, I do agree with this. But there has been reports of Honda A/T breaking down when a supposedly compatible aftermarket ATF was used. Heresay or not, I wouldn't bet my A/T's life on it. Besides, unlike MB's ATF, the Honda ATF-Z1 isn't exactly overpriced. Spending maybe 30% more (just a wild guess) compared to aftermarket ATF is still viable especially when you're only doing ATF changes typically every 1-2 years.

oj88,
    honda was very specific about power steering fluid at one time even before the acura line was introduced, then came honda/acura compatible power steering fluid. your atf-z1 might be new, but give it time and there will be honda/acura compatible atf. come on, honda does not have its own oil fields nor honda oil refinery. for right now, they will enjoy only atf-z1, but it won't be long
    jick

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    oj88,
    honda was very specific about power steering fluid at one time even before the acura line was introduced, then came honda/acura compatible power steering fluid. your atf-z1 might be new, but give it time and there will be honda/acura compatible atf. come on, honda does not have its own oil fields nor honda oil refinery. for right now, they will enjoy only atf-z1, but it won't be long
    jick
    No, I'm not saying that they're brewing their own oil. But would it be just possible that Honda designed the Z1 in cooperation with the OEM manufacturer to fit the specifications of their own A/T?

I don't know if this will have merit but, Honda does not use planetary gear sets as with most A/T designs being in common use. They have sliding gears instead that is very similar in design to a M/T. I guess that's enough distinction to use their own oil for that.

Just saying that it may not be worth the risk just to save a few hundred PHPs. I personally would only consider using compatible Dexron III ATF ONLY when Honda stops selling the Z1.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    I got a question, how does the viscosity play a role in choosing the right ATF?

My 96 nissan sentra recommends a specific viscosity but I can't seem to find any viscosity rating stamped on ATFs being sold here in the Philippines.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bin Diesel View Post
    I got a question, how does the viscosity play a role in choosing the right ATF?

My 96 nissan sentra recommends a specific viscosity but I can't seem to find any viscosity rating stamped on ATFs being sold here in the Philippines.
    Ang gamit kong ATF fluid para sa nissan ko iyong may nakalagay na TQ Dextron 111 .Shell ang brand ng ATF fluid pwede ring iba basta may nakalagay na dextron 111.

Transmission Fluid brand ask po..