New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    1. Was I correct in my recommendation to remove the propeller shaft so we might be able to tow the vehicle?

YES, this is actually the best method in towing a rear wheel drive vehicle with the rear wheels on the ground.

2. If we had indeed removed the propeller shaft, would we have been able to tow the vehicle? If yes, would there be any damage to the vehicle?

YES. just make sure that you select the rear-while drive mode, as opposed to 4 wheel drive mode. and just put the tranny in Neutral. you're good to go.

3. Let's assume that I got stuck in the city (here or there in the Philippines) with my A/T ride and I need to move it from Point A (where I stalled) to Point B (where I want it to be moved), how would I do it safely?

actually, any auto tranny can be safely towed with the driving wheels on the ground from 30 to 50kms, depending on the car. just have the tranny in neutral and just keep below the normal speed limits. for longer distances, you should add additional ATF before towing.

NEVER TOW AUTO TRANNIES IN ANY GEAR OTHER THAN "N"EUTRAL!! You will surely ruin the tranny!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Thanks fellas! Iba talaga ang mga taga Tsikot.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Hi guys. I often tow vehicles because of my work. I'm in the car/bike, etc. business (buy and sell/export), since times are tough I often sell my car carrier trucks whenever I have one and just tow the vehicles or get them transported to me to save me extra expenses for my trucks. My wife usually tows the vehicle and she is good. Driving a dead/damaged (crashed, dead engine, no brakes just the side brake, broken windows, no lights, cars that wont drive staight, etc) are just some of the types that we ordinarily tow. Usually we tow good cars that I got from the auctions. We tow them because some of the cars doesn't have the registration and it's cheaper that way than to get it professionally transported to me. Wifey can be crazy sometimes because she's some kind of a speed freak and I've been towed many times at the speed of more than 80kph at night, without lights, with a dead engine and with only the side brake to rely on and that's on the ordinary streets and it was raining. I often shout out the window to remind her that she's driving too fast.

It is not good to tow AT vehicles especially non Japanese made cars. Some trannys don't like being spinned without the engine running. I fcked up my old MB's tranny because of this. If I don't have the truck, I will surely remove disconnect the propeler shaft or the drive shaft even if it eats up my time. No dummy will tow a vehicle w/c has the tranny not in the "N" range. If the shift lever wont go down, you can find the unit that locks the lever and it is normally located near the shift lever or in some cars are located near the steering wheel just like the old Pajeros. You can also crawl down under the car and locate the gearbox linkage or cable, disconect it and set it to neutral. Since the vehicles that we tow are my vehicles, I really don't think much if they will get damaged especially if the vehicles are cheapies because I can repair them myself or just use it for parts and sell the aluminiums. We often tow Japanese cars at around 60 to 80 kms and still the gearboxes are OK (I hope ). If you are towing only a few kilometers, I think it will be OK.

I just bought an old tow dolly last week (pls. check the photo). I'm still repairing it and will be painting it before I can use it. I also have to make the hitch for my vehicle to connect the dolly but my welding machine is acting weird. It's just like pulling a trailer.

Always try to get the rear lights working or install a portable sets of marker lights on the towed vehicle. I always use both hazard lights for both vehicles and put as many signs as I can "kein chu" (vehicle being towed) on the towed vehicle. I live in Japan so I use "kein chu" (written in Japanese).

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    I notice that most of MANILA wrecker boys roaming in Binondo and nearby chinatown areas like masangkay and Benavides near Metro hospital... Just jack up the front of any target vehicles that they will tow away.... I notice they dont look or check if your ride is Manual or Automatic, they just check only the handbrake and sometimes they force it.... So there's a big chance they will kill your tranny and you still need to pay 1500 for towing charge..

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    since most cars sold here in manila are front wheel drive, yun ang reason kaya laging harap ang tinataas ng mga wreckers... pero yun nga.. kahit pa FWD, RWD yan.. wala naman silang ingat mag tow.. so kahit nde tranny mo ang masira.. malamang may iba pa.. mis-aligned bumpers etc...

as for towing A/T tama yung iniisip mo.. remove prop shaft for RWD vehicles.. as this will free the tranny from moving when the rear wheels move...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Most a/t vehicles (I only have MB and Mitsu experience on this one) can be flat-towed for distances not exceeding 80kms at speeds not exceeding 80 km/h. Just check your manual.

Always have key in ignition and in 'ON' position.

Tranny or transfer case to 'neutral'

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Heto na save ko noon, kalimutan ko na nga lang kung saang forum: HTH

The Honda procedure states:

Start the engine
    Press on the brake pedal. Shift the transmission select lever through all of the positions (P,R,N,D,2,1)
    Shift to D, then to N.
    Let the engine run for 4 minutes then turn off the engine

Release the parking brake
    Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (I) position so the steering wheel is not locked.
    Turn off all accessories such as radio, heater fan, etc

If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time) you must repeat the above procedure

Another forum member sent me the Honda Service Bulletin that contained the above procedure. It works for all Honda automobiles according to bulletin.

Harry & Jane in Woodinville

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you can put the A/T in P as long as the transmission is not directly connected to the ground (transfer is in N or prop shaft is removed)

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    I think MBT said it best:

Shift Transfer Case into Neutral. If no Transfer Case (4x2, Full-Time 4x4, or AWD), remove Driveshaft/s. (With a 4x2, you also have the option of lifting the vehicles off of the driving axle.)

Shift A/T into "Park". This will ensure that the transmission never rotates while the engine is off.

To save time and effort, simply tow vehicle in Neutral (T-Case equipped or not) while keeping the engine idling.

I'm not sure how it should be done with the CRV cause I haven't looked at the details of its "Real-Time 4WD" system operation. But if it was my call, and I was pressed for time, I'd shift the a/t into park, lift up the front tires, and tow at a slow speed, not exceeding a total distance of 5kms. If I had a bit more time, I'd disconnect the driveshaft from the rear diff and tie it on to something in the undercarriage, but only after I'd scribed aligning marks for re-isntallation later on.

The whole point is: to NEVER LET ANY OF THE A/T's INTERNALS ROTATE WITHOUT THE ENGINE RUNNING. Do whatever logical thing is necessary, in addition to locking the a/t in "P".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Towing A/T vehicles