New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to cars so hoping someone can give me some insight:

I drive an automatic (new toyota fortuner gas). While backing out of the carport with the car in reverse (slowly just letting it roll back and slightly braking not touching the gas pedal) I suddenly put the gear straight into drive after I reached the point to stop and drive away, instead of fulling stopping I just put it to drive as it was still rolling back and slowly accelerated forward.

I realized that this must have put some wear and tear on the transmission or/and other parts as I used the gears to do the braking instead of actually using the brakes themselves. Will I have done any damage or worn out the transmission much faster because of this? Im not quite sure if I heard grinding or not when I did this as I had the radio on and was not completely paying attention.

Regardless I won't be doing this again I'm just worried if I have done any damage or wear and tear. The vehicle is new with about 5.5km so far. Should I be worried and is there any damage I can check for or signs or symptoms to listen/look for (my next checkup is in 4.5km), or do you think it will be ok since this was just done one time and not occasionally?

Sorry if I incorrectly used any terms, I'm new to cars as I have mentioned.

To put into steps what happened:

1. Put the transmission in reverse, lifted handbrake while applying footbrake, slowly release foot brake, let the car roll back on its own.
    2. Started turning wheel as the car reached end of carport
    3. Car still going backwards at slow speed, shifted to drive without completely stopping and slowly accelerated forward.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    its safer for your AT from reverse to go on a full stop before shifting on to drive.... wala naman magiging damage yan if you only did it once, but if you are really doing it everytime, dyan masisira ang tranny.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    You're fine. Technically, it's not a good practice. But in reality, occasional blunders won't hurt it as long as you were moving at a snail's pace (ie. 1-2 kph). It's no different than when you're stopped on an uphill road and when it's your turn to go, you release the brakes and the car moves back a few inches before you caught on the accelerator.

The things that can break or wear down would be the clutch packs. No damage to the gears, whatsoever.

But as a best practice, always make a full stop when changing between reverse and any of the drive gears and vice versa... ESPECIALLY when shifting to Park.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the info bros.

I think i was going at a slow pace at the time, again I wasn't paying complete attention until I started accelerating. reversing speed could of possibly been around 5kph (or less) just letting it roll back without any gas. Hope it will still be ok.

What should I ask the casa to check for when I have my next PMS?

Will really pay attention in the future not to do this again.

thanks again

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by sameold View Post

What should I ask the casa to check for when I have my next PMS?

imho, nothing.

A/T: Reversing and putting into drive without stopping first