New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    My ride is Nissan Altima 97 matic.

Here's how my tranny broke:

I dont use my car that much, as it is a lot cheaper to commute from home to work (san juan to ortigas), than bringing my car. One day I was invited to a birthday which is in Teresa Rizal. Knowing that its just within the city, I used my car without proper conditioning.

Its 1pm in afternoon, aircon is on, 5 passengers, and a very steep zigzag road uphill and downhill. I turned off the aircon coz i think the engine is starting to give up. Started to play around with D1 and D2, finally I got to the destination.

The transmission gave up when going back to Manila. Putting the stick to D, D1, D2 doesnt make the car move. It reverses ok when on R, but not forward. I gave the car a rest for a couple of hours. Finally i got home with just 30kph.

Now, where should I have this fixed? It wont move on D, only on D2. It slips on D.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    baka nasira ang synchronizer. take it to speedyfix.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    parang sa may torque converter eh o sa mismong transmission. kasi before pag nakalagay sa D, pasok agad. at pag pataas, khit bitawan ang break di talga umaatras. ngayon umaatras na sya.

sana talaga wag umabot ng 10k pagpapaayos nito.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    teka, tago ba yang speedyfix? taga san juan ako, di ko maisip kung saan yan. kartek lang nakikita ko dun sa description na binigay nila sa mga thread.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by androodge View Post
    teka, tago ba yang speedyfix? taga san juan ako, di ko maisip kung saan yan. kartek lang nakikita ko dun sa description na binigay nila sa mga thread.

androodge,
    sounds like you didn't do anything wrong but not to check the fluid level. it takes more fluid to put the vehicle in drive range than in reverse. as most drivers, the first reaction is to panic. check the obvious. check the fluid level first. on a relatively flat surface, park the vehicle with the engine running and shift to ALL gear positions at about tow seconds each gear with the service and the park brakes applied. then place the shift select lever back to park (P). now pull the transmission dipstick and wipe clean with a lint free cloth. reinsert the dipstick into the dipstick tube. pull the dipstick out and check the fluid level. the dipstick is idiot proof. if you are able to read this, you can read the dipstick
    jick
    a.s.e. certified master automobile technician
    a.s.e. certified master heavy duty truck technician
    international automotive technicians' network

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I experienced this with my previous accord. Parang sliding clutch. Again you can replace the fluid, see what happens. But I bet that the new fluid won't fix the worn out parts inside the tranny. Its either rebuild or replace the tranny.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    speedyfix is just after cherry.

OT:hanep! si sir jason tlga very helpful! :D

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Do Altima's of that year already have electronic control A/Ts? If so, it could also be a faulty solenoid or the electronics behind it. Don't you get a CEL of some kind? If you do, have the DTC extracted so you'll get a more detailed reason of the failure cause. The gear selector switch may also be dirty or worn out, enough to only recognize D1 and D2 only.

Also, when you switch ON the ignition (prior to starting), most cars run a diagnostics on the ECM or PCM. On newer Honda's for instance, the "D" gear indicator LED would blink if there's a problem with the A/T. Otherwise, it is a solid greed light. And when the engine starts, the indicator will change to "P", to reflect your current gear. I'm sure Nissans will have a different way of showing a problem.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Do you think there is no problem with the tranny when it reverses ok?

Checked fluid level, ok. Also found no leaks.

Before it finally gave up (as I assume), the tranny slips on 3rd gear. I'll have to put it on D2 to move the gear back in place.

I think the tranny overheated when I played around the gears (d2, d1, d2, d1) coz its really having a hard time to make the car move during a very steep up and down zigzag road.

Now, it will move on D2 initially, and wont move after a full stop. Ill have to give it a rest for a couple of mins to make it move again.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    I have just confirmed with Speedyfix that they dont rebuilt a/t. where the hell can i bring this? is M7 in banawe or Aurora blvd. expensive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
A/T affordable mechanic