New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I find it weird that Toyota would put L and 2 and advice drivers not to use them. Why will the A/T overheat? Don't they have a lock-up clutch?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I find it weird that Toyota would put L and 2 and advice drivers not to use them. Why will the A/T overheat? Don't they have a lock-up clutch?
    Sorry, I forgot the important part: FOR EXTENDED PERIODS ("for a long time" in the manual). My bad.

Here's the mentioned page, by the way:

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ Thanks for that. Still is weird that their A/T can't cope with that. Should I assume that they really don't employ a lock-up clutch? To the uninitiated, the lock-up clutch holds the two sides of the torque converter together under specific conditions. This is so that there's no torque loss due to fluid coupling and generally little to no heat is generated.

I would love to see the specs on the Avanza tranny.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    ^ Thanks for that. Still is weird that their A/T can't cope with that. Should I assume that they really don't employ a lock-up clutch? To the uninitiated, the lock-up clutch holds the two sides of the torque converter together under specific conditions. This is so that there's no torque loss due to fluid coupling and generally little to no heat is generated.

I would love to see the specs on the Avanza tranny.
    I think it would have been better if they specified how long is "too long."

Is this what you're looking for?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    dont forget to turn OD off when using L or 2.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woohoo View Post
    I think it would have been better if they specified how long is "too long."

Is this what you're looking for?
    Thanks but not really what I'm looking for. It's more of a parts list than a document about its description and operation.

Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    No need. As per the manual attached by woohoo, selecting "L" will put you in 1st gear with no possibility of shifting up. "2" will allow the tranny to use either 1st or 2nd gear. "OD" is only applicable in "D" (1st - 4th gear). Having the O/D turned OFF will only allow you 1st - 3rd gear in "D".

The last gear is usually the O/D.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I see a lot of advice on these A/T threads about using L or 2 when climbing para daw mas malakas ang hatak, etc.

Uhm, no.

The reason why it's called an automatic is because the system will select the correct gear depending on the current conditions. From a standstill, selecting D or L will have absolutely no difference. Either selection will make the car roll forward in first gear. As you gain speed, dyan na magkakatalo. D will shift up to 2nd, 3rd, etc once the conditions are right. L will stay in first gear no matter how hard you press on the gas and how fast you're going.

So para hindi sumakit ulo nyo, put the sucker in D, set O/D to on and drive away. You'll live through a majority of driving conditions that way. Very, very rarely will you need 2 or L.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I see a lot of advice on these A/T threads about using L or 2 when climbing para daw mas malakas ang hatak, etc.

Uhm, no.

The reason why it's called an automatic is because the system will select the correct gear depending on the current conditions. From a standstill, selecting D or L will have absolutely no difference. Either selection will make the car roll forward in first gear. As you gain speed, dyan na magkakatalo. D will shift up to 2nd, 3rd, etc once the conditions are right. L will stay in first gear no matter how hard you press on the gas and how fast you're going.

So para hindi sumakit ulo nyo, put the sucker in D, set O/D to on and drive away. You'll live through a majority of driving conditions that way. Very, very rarely will you need 2 or L.
    There are situations that the A/T logic can be confused, especially on a long uphill climb. The end effect could be that your A/T would continuously cycle between gears as it hunts for the best torque suitable for that climb. The L and 2 settings are a way to prevent this as you pretty much have full control of your speed of accent and RPM. You can then shift to D as road conditions improve.

If your A/T has grade logic or similar fuzzy logic intelligence, it may retard the up-shift but they're still subject to certain programming limitations.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by _Qwerty_ View Post
    No need to turn O/D Off, walang epekto sa L or 2 iyan. Sa D lang meron epekto...

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    There are situations that the A/T logic can be confused, especially on a long uphill climb. The end effect could be that your A/T would continuously cycle between gears as it hunts for the best torque suitable for that climb. The L and 2 settings are a way to prevent this as you pretty much have full control of your speed of accent and RPM. You can then shift to D as road conditions improve.

If your A/T has grade logic or similar fuzzy logic intelligence, it may retard the up-shift but they're still subject to certain programming limitations.
    I didn't experience this gear hunting issue when I went to Baguio, but I did experience this a couple of times: The speed of the jeepney in front was in a borderline zone (with respect to my ride's gear shifting), and while no gear hunting occurred, it also didn't downshift to get more power. Somehow I felt that the engine was struggling. If it was a diesel engine, I suspect it would've created a "smoke screen" behind me . I had to downshift it to 2 manually so I could overtake the jeepney safely.

Maybe this gear hunting issue is a thing of the past (read: applicable only to old A/T's).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Questions regarding A/T- D, 2, L?