New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    so pag naka O/D mode tipong katumbas lang ng 3rd gear maximum? i dont use O/D feeling ko kasi mas maaksaya sa gas so basta naka D lang ako ok naman by the way im driving rav4, O/D ba counterpart ng D3, sa honda me D3, D4 diba

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kapag meron O/D button ang A/T mo, meron indicator sa instrument panel kung naka-OFF ang O/D.

kapag naka-ON ang O/D, hindi naka ilaw ang indicator.

this is another misconception for most users of A/T cars. kapag pinindot yung O/D button, akala ng nakararami, yun ang ON, pero kung titignan sa indicator sa instrument panel, ang nakasulat O/D OFF.

cutedoc, i believe you are referring to the A/T of a honda crv. walang O/D button ang crv. ang katumbas ng O/D sa crv is D4. turning off the O/D in your rav4 is like putting the shifter of the crv to D3.
    Signature

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^
    that's a misconception, the higher the gear = higher speed, the more fuel efficient, OD allows the choice of an extra-high overall gear ratio for high speed cruising, thus saving fuel.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    btw...ive seen some posts that looks like some guy is getting behind the wheel for the 1st time and thinks that an A/T car would be like "taking a walk in the park"...my best advice would be to enroll in any driving school for a few days or ask an "experienced" driver to teach you....one of the worst driver on the road is a guy who is trying to learn to drive by himself!

Don't rush...it's better to know the basics and driving would be a lot more fun & safe not only for you but for others as well....

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    OD is like your 5th gear on a manual tranny, mas matipid sa gas since less engine revolutions per turn of the wheel. so when you have the OD off all the time it is like driving a manual tranny car using only 1st-2nd-3rd-4th gears. bakit ayaw mo gamitin yung 5th sa manual?

also in some a/t (conventional a/t, NOT cvt) OD ON locks up the engine crankshaft with the sun gear input shaft (hope i do not have to say that we assume it has already up-shifted pass D1-D2!), in effect by-passing the torque converter. the a/t tranny then works just like a manual tranny in 4th and 5th gears, no more hydraulic losses from the torque converter. (please don't get confused, an a/t tranny has 2 parts - the hydraulic torque converter and the planetary gears).

besides, why worry about this? that's what the ecu is for. just keep it in OD and let the ecu do the math, unless of course if you can compute optimum efficiency faster than a silicon chip can.
    Last edited by yebo; November 10th, 2005 at 10:53 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by marlon22701
    btw...ive seen some posts that looks like some guy is getting behind the wheel for the 1st time and thinks that an A/T car would be like "taking a walk in the park"...my best advice would be to enroll in any driving school for a few days or ask an "experienced" driver to teach you....one of the worst driver on the road is a guy who is trying to learn to drive by himself!

Don't rush...it's better to know the basics and driving would be a lot more fun & safe not only for you but for others as well....
    this is very true. it happened to me when i was first driving my AT car. I thought it will be very easy coz i know how to drive a manual. my first mistake was a very dangerous one, i'm overtaking, then when i try to pick up speed instead of fllooring the gas to accellerate, i accidentally push the lever up like downshifting in a manual, so it goes to neutral so the engines just revs w/o accelerating, eh malapit na ang kasalubong ko, truck pa ang inoovertakan ko, its so scary.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ^
    Thank God nothing serious happened....that was really a close call....thanks for sharing that with us, i do hope the message goes thru to the others as well.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lagay mo na lang kasi sa D! why do you need to play with the shifter eh automatic nga yan. the only time you need to shift manually on an a/t car is when engine braking on a downhill road. if you need to downshift when overtaking just floor the gas pedal and it will downshift automatically.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    now if its a steep uphill, that's a different story, then you'll need to downshift to 3 for A/T if you feel the engine lacks power....

10. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by marlon22701
    ^
    Thank God nothing serious happened....that was really a close call....thanks for sharing that with us, i do hope the message goes thru to the others as well.
    thanks brother, yun nga ang problema kapag sanay ka sa manual then bigla kang change sa AT. you still do what you are used to before, parang nasa subconscious mo na. so ano bang instinct mo pag underpowered ka sa manual while overtaking? you downshift right, i forgot that im using an AT so i pushed the lever up like changing from 4th gear to 3rd gear, then later on narealize ko automatic nga pala. una ko ngang drive, pag nagmemenor ako napapatapak ang kaliwang paa ko, baka kasi mamatay ang makina maybe it takes time to undo thses things.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Question on N(eutral) or P(ark) in A/T cars