New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    can i use other manual transmission oils with a different viscosity on my car? the manual specifically indicates SAE 75W-90. di paren ako nakakahanap ng mtf with the exact viscosity eh. ang inooffer saken ay iba ang viscosity. wala naman daw problema pag ganun. is it true?

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drin21 View Post
    can i use other manual transmission oils with a different viscosity on my car? the manual specifically indicates SAE 75W-90. di paren ako nakakahanap ng mtf with the exact viscosity eh. ang inooffer saken ay iba ang viscosity. wala naman daw problema pag ganun. is it true?
    What is the make and model of your car? Have you tried purchasing from the casa? You can buy the fluid there and have it serviced elsewhere to save on labor cost.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CivicVTi View Post
    What is the make and model of your car? Have you tried purchasing from the casa? You can buy the fluid there and have it serviced elsewhere to save on labor cost.
    hi sir. mine is a 2007 Chevy Aveo sedan. my reason for asking outside the casa is because i want to try other oil brands like Royal Purple. my car has been using oil from the casa for 3 years now and i think other oil brands may give better performance. problem is, i haven't found a gear oil with the exact same viscosity (SAE 75W-90) as the one indicated in the car manual. auto supply shops and mechanics all say that i can use gear oils with a different viscosity as long as they are for manual transmission.

what do you think sir? ok lang kaya?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    go ahead with the 75w-90 gear oil.

in tranny oils, what's more important really is the rating rather than the viscosity. if you don't go too far away from the recommended visosity range, you'll be fine.

if your manual recommends gl-4, stick to gl-4 or gl-4/gl-5 mix. pouring pure gl-5 rated gear oil will eat the soft metals in your tranny. you won't want that.

unlike engine oil (where sm is newer than sl, or ci-4 is newer than cj-4), it doesn't mean that gl-5 is newer than gl-4. for tranny oils, differeng ratings have different purposes.

for your car, gl-4, or gl-4/gl-5 mix, any viscosity except the extremes (75w-250 etc.) and you'll be fine. if you use the latter (or a higher viscosity) fuel consumption will increase. since your car calls for a lower viscosity tranny oil, you don't need 250's, etc.

hope this helps.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    for tranny oils, rating is more important than viscosity.

use gl4 or gl4/gl5 mix if your tranny calls for gl4. using gl5 in a tranny that calls for gl4, and the oil will eat the soft metals. you don't want that.

you're good with gl4 75w-90, or gl4/gl5 75w-90.

you don't really need higher viscosity tranny oils. (140++ range)

hope this helps

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Siguraduhin mo muna kung Gl-4 o Gl-5.

Kung grade II mineral oil o kaya semi-synthetic, pwede yung Castrol 80w-90 magkaiba yung packaging ng Gl-4 sa gl-5; kadalasan nasa Handyman o kaya DIY-shop.

Pwede rin yung Motul HD Gear 80w-90 pero mas maganda yung Motul Motylgear 75w-90, pwede pareho sa gl-4 o kaya gl-5; makikita mo yan sa True Value o kaya Ace Hardware.

Kung gusto mo ng fully synthetic, merong Royal Purple 75w-90 sa speedyfix o kaya Motul Gear 300 75w90 sa Autoplus along EDSA.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    thanks guys for all your help. i get it now.

problem is, the manual does not specify if i should use gl-4 or gl-5 for my tranny. it only specifies the engine oil which is API SL (ILSAC GF-III) or better. i guess i should just use a gl-4/gl-5 oil like Royal Purple Max Gear.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by drin21 View Post
    thanks guys for all your help. i get it now.

problem is, the manual does not specify if i should use gl-4 or gl-5 for my tranny. it only specifies the engine oil which is API SL (ILSAC GF-III) or better. i guess i should just use a gl-4/gl-5 oil like Royal Purple Max Gear.
    gl-3, gl-4, or gl-5/gl-5 is fine.

not pure gl-5.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    if you go slightly off viscosity wise like a 80w90 it should be fine.

the RP max gear 75w90 is just right for it though.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Pasingit ho, ano po bang recommended/magandang oil viscosity for AE92 4A-F Small body? wala kasi akong makita sa internet at wala na din ung manual neto samin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
question about gear oil