New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Guys,

I just read from an article "Car from Japan". It's about The Effective Ways To Use The Overdrive In Automatic Car.

In one paragraph it says and I quote:

"When you’re speeding up

It’s the textbook condition for using the overdrive in automatic car. When you drive at more than 60mph (50mph in case of older vehicles), the RPM increases and the engine starts taking more and more strain. Turning on the OD will work like magic to take the pressure away from the engine and bring down the RPM.

However, don’t use it when you are speeding at less than 50mph or during city driving because the speed tends to be inconsistent there. The OD prolongs the life of your car’s engine and drivetrain only if you apply it wisely."

50mph is around 80kph. So it says that driving below 80kph, OD should be switched off?

Please share your precious thoughts.

NOTE: Repost ko ito since I posted on the wrong thread kanina.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    Guys,

I just read from an article "Car from Japan". It's about The Effective Ways To Use The Overdrive In Automatic Car.

"When you’re speeding up

It’s the textbook condition for using the overdrive in automatic car. When you drive at more than 60mph (50mph in case of older vehicles), the RPM increases and the engine starts taking more and more strain. Turning on the OD will work like magic to take the pressure away from the engine and bring down the RPM.

However, don’t use it when you are speeding at less than 50mph or during city driving because the speed tends to be inconsistent there. The OD prolongs the life of your car’s engine and drivetrain only if you apply it wisely."

50mph is around 80kph. So it says that driving below 80kph, OD should be switched off?

i just use regular AT setting, and let it do the thinking for me.
    ordinary driver, here.
    Last edited by dr. d; June 23rd, 2018 at 02:15 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    Guys,

"When you’re speeding up

Just turn it ON during normal driving. When you like to overtake, turn it off then ON after over taking.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Injector fuel cutoff will not happen if you have O/D turned on in stop and go traffic.

O/D is great for sustained highway speeds. Otherwise, follow manufacturer recommendations and turn it off in the city or in slow to medium traffic.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Injector fuel cutoff will not happen if you have O/D turned on in stop and go traffic.

O/D is great for sustained highway speeds. Otherwise, follow manufacturer recommendations and turn it off in the city or in slow to medium traffic.
    This is what I've heard as well.

When I had a vacation in the States, they do switch off O/D during rush hour traffic.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think OD was available in older 4-speed ATs. Most cars with traditional 5-speed ATs for the last 6 years or so have no Overdrive option. The newer 6-speed and 8-speed ATs do not come with OD.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I think OD was available in older 4-speed ATs. Most cars with traditional 5-speed ATs for the last 6 years or so have no Overdrive option. The newer 6-speed and 8-speed ATs do not come with OD.
    Oh thanks for the info again good buddy.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Yup, for older cars with 4 speed AT and I have two. Leaving the OD on, AT will determine the gear to use. More fuel efficient for me.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by nelany View Post
    Yup, for older cars with 4 speed AT and I have two. Leaving the OD on, AT will determine the gear to use. More fuel efficient for me.
    Mine as well.

It's better to leave na lang sa default O/D "On" even on traffic since you won't be able to utilize the highest gear which is the Overdrive. However, when driving uphills and downhills, better to engage O/D Off. The tranny temp rises fast when it plays rapidly from 3rd to O/D during uphill and downhill drives daw kasi.

Salamat sa feedbacks mga sirs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Q. OverDrive ON / OverDrive Off