New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Good day!

I tried searching for a dedicated thread, no luck in finding one. If there's one already? May i beg to the mods to just delete or merge this created thread.

Noob question guys.

First time to own a car (2014 Honda City CVT VX) with Paddle shift (PS).

My question is, how to properly utilize the PS?

How to use it without damaging/destroying the tranny?

Went up here in Baguio earlier with 3 adults and 1 kid (5 pax total including me)

I stayed in "D" just downshifted using the " - " of PS during steep uphill/downhill.

Didn't used the "S" mode.

Let's say I'll be using the S mode, IIRC it serves as a manual shifting.

At what RPM do i shift up?

What happens if i don't change gears?

Any other pointers?

Thanks in advance!

PS: not a fan of manual tranny, learned how to drive using one but ever since we didn't owned one, somehow i think may factor yun kaya I have questions posted above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    All modern ATs (including CVTs) have enough safety precautions built-in, that you can't wreck the transmission through the paddle shifters. For one, even if you hold the gear all the way to the redline, the car has a rev limiter that keeps you from going beyond the safe rev range. Some cars even go further by automatically shifting for you if you hit redline, even if you don't shift up via the paddles. You also won't be able to shift down if the lower gear would result in the engine revving all the way to the redline.

The basic pointer for a paddle-shifter-equipped car is to drive it like a manual. Usual shift point is 2000-3000 rpm, depending on the car and the load. On steep uphills, you can stay longer at lower gears (1st or 2nd) at higher revs (3000-5000 rpm) to generate enough torque to propel the car. On downhills, you can downshift to lower gears to increase the rpm and use engine braking to lessen the strain on your mechanical brakes, lowering the risk of brake fade.

Most modern ATs nowadays though are smart enough to know that you need more revs when going uphill, and thus stay at lower gears, even if you just keep it in D. This is especially true for CVTs like in your City, since it can adjust to any gear ratio to maximize the power/torque without sacrificing efficiency.