New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hi,

i had my clutch (pressure plate, release bearing, clutch disc) last december. i just found out yesterday that my release bearing was rattling - when pedal is up tak tak tak tak and stops when clutch pedal is pressed down. its worse when the ac kicks on. it only ran for 5k since the change.

car is mitsu lancer glx 2000. clutch is exedy and bearing is koyo. i am very sure that the bearing, fork, pivot is greased up with high temp grease (saw it with my own eyes). also, i got a new gear oil (rp max gear 75w90) and its in its proper level. i got a new clutch fluid (prestone dot3). i got no leaks in the hydraulic system and its well bled.

could it really be the bearing that is worn out that prematurely?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    hi,

i had my clutch (pressure plate, release bearing, clutch disc) last december. i just found out yesterday that my release bearing was rattling - when pedal is up tak tak tak tak and stops when clutch pedal is pressed down. its worse when the ac kicks on. it only ran for 5k since the change.

car is mitsu lancer glx 2000. clutch is exedy and bearing is koyo. i am very sure that the bearing, fork, pivot is greased up with high temp grease (saw it with my own eyes). also, i got a new gear oil (rp max gear 75w90) and its in its proper level. i got a new clutch fluid (prestone dot3). i got no leaks in the hydraulic system and its well bled.

spy,
    you mentioned that the clutch disc, pressure plate, and release bearing had been replaced and you did not mention about the pilot bearing being replaced. this is a package set. if you open it, some other parts are might as well (MAW) parts like the set of pressure plate, disc, release bearing and the pilot bearing as clutch pack or set. together with these MAW, is the rear main seal (rear crankshaft seal) replacement since the transmission is already out. as with the noise you described, it MIGHT be from the pilot bearing or improperly torqued clutch cover bolts that MAY have loosened up, or broken part of the diaphragm spring of the clutch plate( diaphragm type) or unevenly adjusted clutch disc fingers(finger type), or misalignment of the transmission housing against the engine block matin surface. these are all mechanical causes for that noise. if you have to revisit(obviously you have to) the improper installation/replacement of the clutch set, ensure that proper tolerances and torque tightening and sequence be followed. the flywheel and the clutch assembly rotate at varying speeds and sometimes rotate to your tachometer redline depending how you drive and will loosen with vibration. to prevent this from happening, i would recommend you use loctite 271 thread locking compound after tightening your fasteners to specs or if you have the capability, safety wire the fasteners that are subject to vibration and rotation.
    jick

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Release bearing/throw out bearing if defective makes noise when you press the pedal. Not the other way around. You may have a different problem. Is is just "tak tak tak"? What is the frequency of this sound? Is it not a grinding or rumbling sound?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    nope, its not grinding or rumbling... its just takatakatakatak while the pedal is up. when pressed, no noise of any sort.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    bring it back nalang to whoever replaced it and have the noise checked

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    just an update, the release bearing sounds only when the a/c compressor kicks in

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Was it resolved? i have the exactly the same problem. If its all good now, can you please tell me what have done and how much it cost you. Spyghost im looking forward for your reply. Godbless

8. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    nope, its not grinding or rumbling... its just takatakatakatak while the pedal is up. when pressed, no noise of any sort.
    i have exactly the same problem. i own a 97 corolla xl. the noise is there when the pedal is up but when i step on the clutch then it gone. Much worst when i have my aircon on. Was it resolved? if it does, tell me what have done and how much it cost you. thanks in advance and godbless

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    hi,

spy,
    i think my ride is due for clutch disk, pressure plate and release bearing change. how much did it cost you to change all of those parts? thanks.

new release bearing/throw out bearing rattling after 5k