New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    SMy Innova is with an automatic transmission. This is my dilemma every time mag-traffic sa city and ang ride is usad pagong.... what should I do .... Do I have to maintain at "D" while stepping the brake and release the break to move a little forward? Or could I put it at N with the handbreak then shift back to D and release the handbreak to move forward a little? Stepping on the break for a long period at time hurt my right knee/leg... Ilang estimated seconds or minutes ba before considering placing it at N? Hope someone can enlighten me on this....
    During this kind of situation on the road, you need to be attentive for safety purposes. If you're in crawling traffic, you can just keep it on D and press your brake once in a while. However, if you're in a complete standstill put it on N. It will just differ on where you're comfortable with. In addition to this, if your car is exposed to heavy traffic all the time make sure you attend to your regular maintenance schedule to ensure that your car is working efficiently on the road. Hope this helps!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    You can shift to N if the time interval on the traffic light may take some time or you can just maintain at D and press the brake with optional hand brake. Just avoid putting to P or Park.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan View Post
    You can shift to N if the time interval on the traffic light may take some time or you can just maintain at D and press the brake with optional hand brake. Just avoid putting to P or Park.
    nothing really wrong with putting it to P.
    except that, should you get bumped from the front or behind, the locking pawl might be destroyed.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    ^ P stand for park

Its wrong to park the car in the middle of a busy road

Sent from my SM-G532G using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    In traffic, I personally do one of the following:

1. Drive + Foot on the brakes (for shorter stops)
    2. Neutral + Parking brakes (for longer stops or if you need to take your eyes off the road and/or you need to reach for stuff or look for something)

The only disadvantages I can think of when frequently putting it in Park are the following:

1. Though, probably negligible, it puts slightly added wear on the linkages and clutches (passing through Reverse)
    2. The possible danger of accidentally shifting it into Reverse when you thought you've put it in Park
    3. There's an inherent delay when shifting from Park to Drive

Bottom line, we can analyze this to death but it's really up to the driver which method works for him/her based on the circumstances.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    ^ P stand for park

even as every car around us is parked... on edsa...?!!
    heh heh.

btw,
    last sunday, we got caught in 2 1/2 hour southbound edsa traffic... caused by that shooting incident... described by some news folks as minor traffic...
    it started just before channel 7... we turned to bonny serrano.. white plains.. ortigas.. san miguel.. pioneer! hah!

7. Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    ^ P stand for park

Yet dami ko nakikitang gumagawa nyan. Makikita mo kasi pag-stop nila, iilaw saglit yung reverse lights nila.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    nothing really wrong with putting it to P.
    except that, should you get bumped from the front or behind, the locking pawl might be destroyed.
    Though the ECU will anticipate that you will be shutting off the engine if engaged in P. I would agree on what you said that if in case a car or a motorcycle may rear end you, the locking pawl will be compromised while on P in the middle of a traffic jam.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by yubby24 View Post
    Yet dami ko nakikitang gumagawa nyan. Makikita mo kasi pag-stop nila, iilaw saglit yung reverse lights nila.
    Naka P ba talaga sila or N lang?

Kasi ako if traffic with long stops, i put it in N. Tapos pag gagalaw na, I first step on the brake then shift to D, so iilaw talaga tail light ko even if hindi ako naka P.

Pero I agree na putting it in P is risky.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    P kung mag pa park lang.. pag sa traffic long stops.. you can put to N then hand brake.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
How to properly drive an automatic transmission car during traffic?