New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i just had a tranny oil change. i'm just wonderin kasi 3L lang ang nagamit na atf. tama lang ba yun? kc bakit nasa cool lang ang level, pag patay ko ng engine after 30 mins driving, nasa cool pa rin ang level. before kasi it's near the hot level palagi. ok lang ba ito? thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    forgot to mention pala, my ride is a 96 toyota corolla gli A/T. thanks!

3. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    When your engine and tranny is cold, it is normal that your ATF level should be in the cold level as well when you look at the dipstick. However, when the engine has warmed up from either a long idling or after being driven, the ATF should go up to the hot level of the dipstick.

In your case, what you can do to check the most accurate ATF level is to bring the engine and tranny to its ideal operating temperatures. After its has warmed up, move the shifter from P - R - N - D - 2 - 1 (2 and 1 may be different from what you have). The general idea is to go through all the shift points, with a 1 second interval before each shift, and back again to P. Doing this will ensure that your ATF has circulated properly and you may now begin to check the ATF level.

You may either turn the engine off or leave it idling, take out the dipstick and check your ATF level. Under the assumption that the engine is considerably warm and your dipstick still show that your ATF is at the COLD level, chances are, your ATF level is low. Add ATF by pouring it into the nozzle where the dipstick goes in. When you add ATF, make sure you do it in small increments so that you do not over fill it.

Repeat the testing process by starting your engine again, let it idle to a few seconds then shift from P to the last position and back again to P. Check the ATF level again and repeat the process if neccessary. Remember to just fill it with enough ATF. Too much ATF can damage your tranny.

BTW, as much as possible, use the same ATF brand and specs when you refill.

I hope this helps.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    thanks!

how many liters of atf for a tranny oil change?