New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    What's the best way to handle this situation? If I'm driving up a very steep slope, like the parking building in Shangrila-mall, and then I had to stop in the middle of the slope kasi meron car in front of me who stopped. Do I leave the transmission on Drive, or do I switch to Neutral (while pressing the brake) and then pull the parking brake lever?

What would happen if my car is sitting on a steep slope while on Drive and I let go of my foot brake? Would the car slide backward?

I've been driving manual transmission all this time kasi. I don't want to experiment with my auto-transmission car until I ask here first.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Just leave the it on D and step on the brake from time to time. Some cars won't move up some will move a bit. It depends on the car and engine.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    There are numerous threads about A/T transmission. You can try and do a seach first then you can also post in all of that.

welcome to tsikot JasonMac

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    sir mas maganda shift mo sa DRIVE 2 OR DRIVE 1 para hindi masyado hirap sa pag akyat, kung sandalian tigil lang ang gagawin mo wag mo na ilagay sa neutral pero kung matatagalan shift mo sa neutral then hand break

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Climbing steep grades from a stop

1. Depress the brake pedal
    2. Shift to D,S, or L, depending on the load weight and grade steepness
    3. Release all brakes while gradually accelerating

What would happen if my car is sitting on a steep slope while on Drive and I let go of my foot brake? Would the car slide backward?
    - it will not slide backward IF your transmission is in good condition

How to drive auto transmission uphill?