Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    I plan to do just that pag makauwi na ng Baguio. [emoji106]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDan View Post
    Thank you, Sir. By the way, my odo is still at 30k, but the previous owner already had it serviced until the 50k pms. CVTF was not replaced at the 40k pms. Is it too early for me to have the CVTF replaced? Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Previous owner hoodwinked you as s/he knows it will cost close to 40T to have CVT serviced at dealer ...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDan View Post
    By the way, is there any disadvantage if I have the CVTF changed in full versus just the drain and refill, apart from the higher cost?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Aim & key here are to extract the most of the old fluid out & get the correct amount of new in. Note that volume or level check must be done at factory-recommended fluid temperature range(varies w/ make & model).
    What bothers the OCD in me w/ 'dialysis' equipments is the high likelihood of having some other type of fluid mixing w/ your new CVTF. This I won't do unless I'm sure the equipment is totally clean. CVTF & ATF SHOULD NOT MIX.
    You can drain/fill multiple times w/ some driving in between. This method dilutes the old fluid w/ new. The more times the better.
    The cooler/heat exchange line method, as done in the video, would be more ideal. More old out & new in w/ lesser contamination/dilution. To add, I'd probably drop the pan & change the filter/strainer every 2nd or 3rd fluid change intervals...for units applicable. Some trannies are sealed type.
    Subaru CVT Transmission Fluid Change & Flush Procedure | 2015 Forester Replacement-Fill-Level Check - YouTube
    Tedious, yes...but peace of mind of having something done right is priceless.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    i'd only do the tranny fluid flush if I was sure the previous owner did regular fluid changes religiously. If in doubt I'd do a drain and fill with the pan dropped just to see how the fluid looks. If it's clean and not much dirt in the pan I'd do the flush next time. The passages in the valve body of these things are so tiny that flushing super old fluid which may have solidified particles in it might result in a blockage.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    i'd only do the tranny fluid flush if I was sure the previous owner did regular fluid changes religiously. If in doubt I'd do a drain and fill with the pan dropped just to see how the fluid looks. If it's clean and not much dirt in the pan I'd do the flush next time. The passages in the valve body of these things are so tiny that flushing super old fluid which may have solidified particles in it might result in a blockage.
    CVTs are best enjoyed new. If planned for longterm keeping, care & regular flushes are needed more than traditional ATs....If not, wish the next owner luck.[emoji849] When(not IF) CVT troubles pop, chances are high for tranny replacement.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    CVTs are best enjoyed new. If planned for longterm keeping, care & regular flushes are needed more than traditional ATs....If not, wish the next owner luck.[emoji849] When(not IF) CVT troubles pop, chances are high for tranny replacement.

Hope you get to like the advent of electrics then bro. Not much maintenance or parts that may break with those. But then there's the issue of battery degradation...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    Hope you get to like the advent of electrics then bro. Not much maintenance or parts that may break with those. But then there's the issue of battery degradation...
    Electrics are an easier proposition than the current messy platforms of complex modern electronics running, nannying & choking the ancient combustion engine. Efficiency at the expense of reliability. Then you have regulations dictating to clean the fossil fuels we burn? Hybrids, CVTs, DPFs....Messy, messy, messy.[emoji13]

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Electrics are an easier proposition than the current messy platforms of complex modern electronics running, nannying & choking the ancient combustion engine. Efficiency at the expense of reliability. Then you have regulations dictating to clean the fossil fuels we burn? Hybrids, CVTs, DPFs....Messy, messy, messy.[emoji13]

reminds me for my disdain of electronic oil dipstick hehe.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    reminds me for my disdain of electronic oil dipstick hehe.
    Haha...manufacturers might as well make the engine bay inaccessible to owners.[emoji13]

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234