New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    ^^yes this is very risky and dangerous...you don't have to do this everytime you'd overtake, siguro added knowledge lang. haha...alertness is key and right timing. of course right sense of common is needed...badly in these situations. hehe... :D

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by iRevoLution_mo View Post
    tama. when drafting/slipstream with cars yung clearance mo dapat below 2.5 meters (tansyameter) and when in terms of buses/trucks tolerable pa ang 1 car apart. ang theory kasi dito is to avoid the wind velocity/air drag and retarded force so as long as sakop ka pa ng shadow ng katapat mong vehicle mas okay.. so mas mahirap talaga at risky gawin to in front of smaller type of vehicles. at lalo na dun sa mga walang brake lights which oftens sudden breaks.
    ^yes this is very risky and dangerous...so one shouldn;t practice this on busy roads. alertness is key and proper timing. common sense may help as well of course...like what sir niky said, see if there are no obstacles in front of the car in front of you. one should consider every factor before attempting to overtake...as with a lot of things in life. :D

and like what i said...we should all pracrice defensive driving, not only does it save us money from gas and minor accidents, but most importantly it saves lives.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    catching the slipstream to help in overtaking is a very bad advice especially when we are talking of normal street or highway driving.

why? because of the risks involved. very dangerous because of relatively unpredictable behavior of the car in front as compared to those in racing.

second, at low speeds, the effect of the slipstream may not be that significant as compared to the risk. at high speed (like in highway), why overtake if the traffic is moving fast?

pag nagkamali ka ng tancha sa pag"attack", i assure you, wasak bumper nyu pareho....

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    since you need power to overtake, i think that the downshifting should be done prior to overtaking, and upshift, while in the middle. maintain the rpm.
    sir vladi, with due respect, i beg to disagree that you have to upshift in the middle of the overtaking process. this involves additional risk. when you upshift and the gear didn't engage, it will eat up precious seconds just to recover from being neutral and at the same time, you'll lose the power and momentum you've gained from the beginning of the overtaking maneuver. furthernore, you might end up in a neutral gear for a long time while on the opposing lane, which is a situation wherein you wouldn't want to be in. just as to rephrase what you said, "while in the middle, just press on the gas hard. then upshift once you've exited/went back to your lane".

by the way, this applies to national/country roads that have two lanes only. but for superhighways, it would be fine to upshift in the middle of the overtaking attack.

please correct me experts if i'm wrong

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jeDi13 View Post
    sir vladi, with due respect, i beg to disagree that you have to upshift in the middle of the overtaking process. this involves additional risk. when you upshift and the gear didn't engage, it will eat up precious seconds just to recover from being neutral and at the same time, you'll lose the power and momentum you've gained from the beginning of the overtaking maneuver. furthernore, you might end up in a neutral gear for a long time while on the opposing lane, which is a situation wherein you wouldn't want to be in. just as to rephrase what you said, "while in the middle, just press on the gas hard. then upshift once you've exited/went back to your lane".

by the way, this applies to national/country roads that have two lanes only. but for superhighways, it would be fine to upshift in the middle of the overtaking attack.

please correct me experts if i'm wrong
    no problem bro.... everybody is entitled to his/her own opinions...
    sa akin kasi pag nag oovertake ako, bago lumabas, i shift to the next higher (ex: from 4-3) gear for additional power. Sa gitna, i shift to the higher, pag nakabwelo na. minsan kasi, depende sa takbo eh. pag mabilis din yung inoovertakan mo, di kakayanin ng high gear.

mabilisan lang ng reaction and ng paa.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    If you feel na na max out mo na ang power and RPM nung gear while in the middle of over taking its ok to shift to next higher gear to finish the momentum. If not then finish the over taking with out up shifting.

Sa mga ino over-take-an its a good defensive practice na pag katapat mo na or naka abante na konte ang nag o-over take sa iyo give way and let him/her pass safely, otherwise pag na alanganin yan parehas pa kayo ma aksidente

8. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
    If you feel na na max out mo na ang power and RPM nung gear while in the middle of over taking its ok to shift to next higher gear to finish the momentum. If not then finish the over taking with out up shifting.

Sa mga ino over-take-an its a good defensive practice na pag katapat mo na or naka abante na konte ang nag o-over take sa iyo give way and let him/her pass safely, otherwise pag na alanganin yan parehas pa kayo ma aksidente
    tama.. meron kasi mga ungas na kapag nakita na oovertakan sila gigipitin ka pa.. kala kasi nila nababawasan pagkalalaki nila kapag na overtakan sila. hindi nila alam nagmumukha lang sila ungas mag drive kapag hindi sila nagbigay.. kakabadtrip yung ganon..

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    ^oo nga...lalo na mga jeep. kakabadtrip...so your best offense is defense. use your heads na lang...kung ayaw e di wag. :D

10. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    *vladi, gonzo

alright. kaya pala nag-sshift pa kayo kasi sagad na sa current gear.. thanks for sharing. i'm yet to experience this. sabagay, tricycles, oil tankers, and 15-yr-old jeepneys lang inoovertake-an ko sa province namin kaya kahit hindi na mag-upshift

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
downshifting when overtaking