New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Saw a recent discussion about diesel engines and CVT transmissions earlier...

Why diesel cars don't come with CVTs

CVTs rely on the friction between the two cones and belt between them to deliver power to the wheels. Overpowering this friction will lead to losses in terms of power delivery. CVTs also scale poorly with torque, if the torque is greater than the friction, the steel belt in a CVT will just spin without putting any of the power to good use. When this happens the cones can get burnt out further damaging the transmission.

Another reason why CVTs and Diesel engines don't mix is because the operating rev range of a diesel engine is much lower than that of a gasoline engine. This means that peak torque comes in much earlier compared to its gas powered counterparts.This also means the risk of the belts spinning is much higher since peak torque comes in earlier.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Just to add...

Although India's 2018 Honda Amaze has a diesel CVT model... Honda India has announced that the next diesel City will not have CVT

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    toyota's cvt with its "1st" gear will work nicely with honda's small diesel engines. I don't think they'll partner though.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013

2015 Subaru Forester (in some markets) was also released with a 2.0 diesel CVT

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post

2015 Subaru Forester (in some markets) was also released with a 2.0 diesel CVT
    They're even rethinking their petrol....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I think only Subaru uses CVT for high torque gas engines. It is the one used on the FXT, WRX, Levorg, Outback H6, new Outback XT, and the Ascent. This CVT is rated up to 400Nm even on low rpms (2k). However, it was not used on the retired Forester and Outback 2.0L diesel.

With much better technology on 8-speed and 9-speed traditional ATs, the fuel savings and power band distribution advantage of the newer CVTs might already be addressed.

Diesel engines are already cheaper in fuel expense conpared to gas engines so no need to apply CVT fuel efficiency on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I think only Subaru uses CVT for high torque gas engines. It is the one used on the FXT, WRX, Levorg, Outback H6, new Outback XT, and the Ascent. This CVT is rated up to 400Nm even on low rpms (2k). However, it was not used on the retired Forester and Outback 2.0L diesel.

With much better technology on 8-speed and 9-speed traditional ATs, the fuel savings and power band distribution advantage of the newer CVTs might already be addressed.

Diesel engines are already cheaper in fuel expense conpared to gas engines so no need to apply CVT fuel efficiency on it.

I thought the Forester diesel was later offered with a CVT as well ?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Fuel economy for the boxer was the main reason Subaru CVT'd. Though touted more robust than most, Subaru's, like any other CVT, still has cons....some below.
    SubaruNA had to extend their CVT warranty....
    Subaru Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) - Lemon Law Case

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LOLZ View Post
    I thought the Forester diesel was later offered with a CVT as well ?
    Sorry, I was wrong. The Forester Diesel was offered with a CVT and an MT tranny.

215 Subaru Forester Review : 2.D-L diesel CVT | CarAdvice

The other manufacturer that uses boxer engines prefers their own version of the DSG. Porsche’s PDK is one of the best in terms of performance.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Sorry, I was wrong. The Forester Diesel was offered with a CVT and an MT tranny.

2?15 Subaru Forester Review : 2.?D-L diesel CVT | CarAdvice

The other manufacturer that uses boxer engines prefers their own version of the DSG. Porsche’s PDK is one of the best in terms of performance.

Funnily enough audi cites efficiency reasons for axing the cvt (multitronic)in favor of the dsg
    Audi kills off multitronic CVT automatic | CarAdvice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast