New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Interestingly the Subaru CVT which seems to be pretty reliable for local use has started seeing a bunch of failures in the US.

Maybe because of they tend to drive more miles? I understand there is a torque converter in the CVT that prevents the main belts and pulleys from spinning when the car is not in motion.

Sound of a failed Subaru CVT transmission:

2011 Outback 2.5i, CVT transmission, 166k miles - am I screwed? : /r/subaru

Subaru 2013 Outback Transmission Noise | youtube

2. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    Interestingly the Subaru CVT which seems to be pretty reliable for local use has started seeing a bunch of failures in the US.

Maybe because of they tend to drive more miles? I understand there is a torque converter in the CVT that prevents the main belts and pulleys from spinning when the car is not in motion.

Maintenance history? Fluid used? Driving style?

Ito problema sa CVT. Unrepairable.

3. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post

Personally, other than the questions of whether or not they do proper CVT fluid changes be it time based or mileage based, I think in the US since they tend to do lot of interstate travel with higher top speeds than ours, they tend to do a lot more hard acceleration cycles compared to how we drive here to keep up with traffic. And seeing how they tried to wring the car out to try to immediately get to the speed limit when merging (hence the complaints of the CVT drone being prevalent among US Consumers), that could be a contributing factor. But that's my hypothesis/thinking on the matter.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    Personally, other than the questions of whether or not they do proper CVT fluid changes be it time based or mileage based, I think in the US since they tend to do lot of interstate travel with higher top speeds than ours, they tend to do a lot more hard acceleration cycles compared to how we drive here to keep up with traffic. And seeing how they tried to wring the car out to try to immediately get to the speed limit when merging (hence the complaints of the CVT drone being prevalent among US Consumers), that could be a contributing factor. But that's my hypothesis/thinking on the matter.
    Yep, they really step on it to get up to speed specially on the highways. Drivers here are a lot more relaxed when it comes to accelerating. Come to think of it, in most other countries I've been to, accelerating hard is the norm. Dito masyadong takbong pogi lahat, walang urgency at all.
    Last edited by Wh1stl3r; February 21st, 2022 at 10:38 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
cvt transmission maintenance