New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    HALLO!

I'm planning to upgrade the clutch on my 3S-GE and I'm choosing between a normal facing and metal facing clutch. The stock one in the unit doesn't react well and starts to slide already.

My inquiry is about these metal clutches, Are they loud inside the cabin? are carbon ones loud as well?

The clutch in question is the orc 309 single plate metal clutch. if they're so loud that it's too unbearable in every day driving I might opt for "sporty" less expensive exedy ones instead.

I've heard that lightweight flywheels are really noisy as hell, so I'm not gonna upgrade to that.

Help and advice please! first time touching the transmission in my current and even my past cars. So im a total noob
    I'm expecting these clutches makes it harder to put the car in gear and more prone to misshifts, So kelangan ng praktis.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    I have a Exedy Stage 1 and Fidanza 7.5 lbs flywheel on my modified 2zz-ge. No noises so far and no problems getting into gear (6 speed). My clutch effort is like OEM with the purchase of a Speed Source extended push rod. You might want to check if one is available for your car.

Fidanza makes probably the lightest flywheel out in the market. I rarely see any complaints of noise, but more of people being afraid of drive ability in traffic. You'll learn how to drive all over again, more revs to get going from a stop and faster gear changes is a must. The RPM's climb and fall so quickly, so the car will buck if driven in a relaxed manner when changing gears.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Thanks! Got couple more questions!

does clutch effort largely depend on fly wheel or clutch kit?

Is it necessary to change the fly wheel as well when upgrading the clutch? or does it depend on how hardcore you want your car to be?

Do you think it's necessary to buy an extended push rod if I'm just upgrading the clutch and not the flywheel?

I'd probably go for exegy stage 1 as well.

again, thanks for the advice.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by N3gus View Post
    Thanks! Got couple more questions!

does clutch effort largely depend on fly wheel or clutch kit?

Is it necessary to change the fly wheel as well when upgrading the clutch? or does it depend on how hardcore you want your car to be?

Do you think it's necessary to buy an extended push rod if I'm just upgrading the clutch and not the flywheel?

I'd probably go for exegy stage 1 as well.

again, thanks for the advice.
    1. The clutch effort depends on the clutch kit and clamp loads.

2. You can resurface a flywheel depending on its condition. A variety of lightened flywheel could be available for your 3sge. Some companies offer flywheels 2-5lbs lighter than OEM, so you can drive around in traffic with no problems of stalling.

3. An upgrade over OEM clutch will often result in heavier clutch pedal effort. The extended push rod if one is available will be worth it in traffic.
    Toyota | Speed Source

Look into ARP flywheel bolts if you decide to upgrade the flywheel. ARP bolts are reusable unlike OEM, that can only be used once. They require higher torque settings when installed and oiling the threads is a must!

5. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    The mechanic and I decided to order the TRD clutch kit and lightened flywheel as well. He says Its drivable without the extended push rod. I guess I have to take his word for it.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by N3gus View Post
    The mechanic and I decided to order the TRD clutch kit and lightened flywheel as well. He says Its drivable without the extended push rod. I guess I have to take his word for it.
    You should order ARP flywheel bolts for extra safety measure. What brand flywheel did you go for?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    yup, the mechanic ordered flywheel bolts (8pcs), toyota bolt fluid (adhesive?? - I wasn't able to catch what the mechanic said, my japanese wasn't up to speed when we talked lol) and all new bearings as well (pilot, release, etc). The shop ended up ordering the Exedy hyper single clutch set instead (same as the one in this thread). Are there any other stuff I need to watch out for?

again, Thank you 3X for the advice, man!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Everything seems set:
    -Make sure to check clutch friction point is adjusted how you like before leaving the shop
    -Break-in the clutch properly: keep shifts at 3,000 RPM's or lower; for a distance 805KM (500 miles).
    -I suggest going back to the shop a week after install. The mechanic should inspect his work a 2nd time.

Clutch Upgrade: are metal facing clutches loud inside the cabin?