New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    Could you explain a bit further?

Note: I own an A/T JB74 myself, but its not my daily driver (laruan ko lang). I knew fully well what I was buying, including its capabilities and limitations kaya tempered ang expectations ko, and happy ako with it.

Pero yun nga, beam axle suspension, high center of gravity, a tendency to oversteer (for an inexperienced driver) and a theoretical top speed of 140kph more or less...

How does having an A/T on it make highway cruising a bit better?

gonna be a toy as well

4th gear on the a/t will have very slightly lower RPM at 100kph, compared to 5th gear on the m/t

pero yung nga the m/t 1st gear is shorter than a/t 1st gear which is by design. afaik all 4spd ATs are like this coz they rely on the torque-multiplication by the slushbox

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    errr,
    what about the differential pinion-and-ring-gear ratio?
    pareho lang ba between MT and AT ?
    transmission ignoramus here.
    Last edited by dr. d; October 3rd, 2022 at 08:29 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Ang mura eh. Half the price of a standard SUV (far less comfortable though, but I knew what I was buying).

I didn't have a waitlist/reservation period either. Nung nakita ko sa dealership and sabi ng SA available yung nakadislplay, I wrote a check and binili ko na

I've never encountered yung so called "death wobble" even running over a pothole at 70-90kph (speed range for death wobble) probably because I've kept mine stock and didn't mess/modify the suspension (raise or lower). Dun nagkakaproblema eh (exchanged notes with other JB74 owners while undergoing PMS at the dealership).

4. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    errr,
    what about the differential pinion-and-ring-gear ratio?
    pareho lang ba between MT and AT ?
    transmission ignoramus here.
    Don't know that either doc. All I know is my AT is a conventional auto transmission (no CVT or what have you), because it was designed to be tough & robust (less complicated and less things to break).

5. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post

4th gear on the a/t will have very slightly lower RPM at 100kph, compared to 5th gear on the m/t
    Palagay ko, negligible yung RPM difference na yan.

Besides, nakakatakot to drive it at the 100-120kph++ range, not because of the speed itself (which is relatively slow), but because of how it handles. Pag di marunong yung humahawawak ng manibela niya, and drive it expecting it to handle like a car eh, naku, dangerous.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i have two near-identical D4d innovae: a MT and a 4AT.
    at 80 kph, my MT's tachometer reading is slightly above 2000 rpm, while my AT's is slightly below 2000.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    gonna be a toy as well
    Niche market nga ang Jimny.

They say 2 kinds of buyers lang ang bumibili nito eh:

1) The enthusiast (who knows what they are buying and bought it because they want it); and

2) Yung nagkamali (na-cute an lang, impulse buyer who later regrets it, disappointed bakit maliit/masikip and hindi siya comfortable ride like a sedan (it was designed for off road use... duh.)

Suggestion ko lang, keep it stock din
    No goofy roof racks that no one really uses, and funky bull bars that increase its gross weight. One well meaning off road accessories shop owner I spoke to advised adding a heavy front bull bar he was pushing me to upgrade with to improve handling because the Jimny is lightweight daw.

MALI.

The engineers purposely DESIGNED the Jimny to be lightweight and small. It's designed advantage over bigger, heavier and wider SUVs is that it was meant to get through narrow mountain trails (where big SUVs won't fit) and be less likely to get bogged down in deep mud than heavier SUVs (4wd notwithstanding) and not need a winch to get out. Kumbaga sa isang thoroughbred draft horse (other SUVs) the Jimny would be a small but sure footed mountain goat.

Some owners affectionately refer to their Jimny's nga as: "The little thing that could go anywhere..."

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i have two near-identical D4d innovae: a MT and a 4AT.
    at 80 kph, my MT's tachometer reading is slightly above 2000 rpm, while my AT's is slightly below 2000.

that's why a 4-speed a/t is still viable in 2022 coz it has a bit better range of ratios compared to 5spd m/t

4 may seem fewer than 5, but 1st gear ratio on an a/t is close to 2nd gear on m/t. then slushbox torque multiplication creates a virtual lowest gear.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Tingin ko tinamad na toyota to develop new M/T for the innova.. dapat kasi yan naka 6speed MT na.. yung 5MT is outdated na for the engine.. kumbaga bitin sa gear kahit kaya pa ng engine

10. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post

Niche market nga ang Jimny.

They say 2 kinds of buyers lang ang bumibili nito eh:

1) The enthusiast (who knows what they are buying and bought it because they want it); and

2) Yung nagkamali (na-cute an lang, impulse buyer who later regrets it, disappointed bakit maliit/masikip and hindi siya comfortable ride like a sedan (it was designed for off road use... duh.)

Suggestion ko lang, keep it stock din
    No goofy roof racks that no one really uses, and funky bull bars that increase its gross weight. One well meaning off road accessories shop owner I spoke to advised adding a heavy front bull bar he was pushing me to upgrade with to improve handling because the Jimny is lightweight daw.

MALI.

The engineers purposely DESIGNED the Jimny to be lightweight and small. It's designed advantage over bigger, heavier and wider SUVs is that it was meant to get through narrow mountain trails (where big SUVs won't fit) and be less likely to get bogged down in deep mud than heavier SUVs (4wd notwithstanding) and not need a winch to get out. Kumbaga sa isang thoroughbred draft horse (other SUVs) the Jimny would be a small but sure footed mountain goat.

Some owners affectionately refer to their Jimny's nga as: "The little thing that could go anywhere..."

oh yeah definitely won't install useless accessories so i'll be installing only lightweight functional stuff, like a superlight tow bar. i already built a superlight tow bar for my ecosport, and i also want jimny to be able to tow coz it has higher tow rating than ecosport

probably won't install roof rack on jimny coz users say it sways too much w/ load on the roof.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
Which is the best "Manual or Automatic"??