New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    a little bit off topic. i feel the last time na may significant fuel economy gain with introduction of technology was because of fuel iinjection. i say that because my dad owned a 1990 manual corolla gli (4A carb) then came to replace it after was 95 civic vti(PGM-Fi). both manual. mas malaki at mas malakas ang civic yet significantly better ang fuel mileage. today with newer ATs 6sp...10sp and especially with CVTs i think din malaki ang improvement ng fuel economy with all due consideration. though i have yet to drive a cvt with any appreciable amount of time.
    I had an old 6th gen Accord (2001 year model) before. It had a 2.3L NA VTEC engine (156hp/220Nm) paired to a 4AT tranny. I was only getting an average of 6-7 km/L with it on my usual route.

My 2016 Forester XT is bigger, heavier yet quicker and faster. It comes with AWD and powered by a 2.0L turbo engine (240hp/350Nm) paired to a high-torque CVT tranny. I get around similar averages in terms of FC. In fact, the XT is even more economical on highway runs.

Cars are bigger in size today yet we get better FC. The local traffic conditions just worsened thus more idle time leading to poor FC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    With today's technology and practicality wise... mas better ang AT for me....

3. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    are DCT transmissions better than CVT or traditional (torque convertor) automatic transmissions?

i've watched some DCTs tests on youtube prone to overheat when under heavy loads (off-roading, towing, carrying heavy cargo)

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I had an old 6th gen Accord (2001 year model) before. It had a 2.3L NA VTEC engine (156hp/220Nm) paired to a 4AT tranny. I was only getting an average of 6-7 km/L with it on my usual route.

My 2016 Forester XT is bigger, heavier yet quicker and faster. It comes with AWD and powered by a 2.0L turbo engine (240hp/350Nm) paired to a high-torque CVT tranny. I get around similar averages in terms of FC. In fact, the XT is even more economical on highway runs.

Cars are bigger in size today yet we get better FC. The local traffic conditions just worsened thus more idle time leading to poor FC.

oh yep i agree. i failed to consider huge factor nga ang sobra traffic ngayon as time progressed

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    are DCT transmissions better than CVT or traditional (torque convertor) automatic transmissions?

i've watched some DCTs tests on youtube prone to overheat when under heavy loads (off-roading, towing, carrying heavy cargo)
    Depende ata sa built ng DCT. Ford had a lot of problems with its dry-type DCT. VW is still making use of its DSG DCT for a number of its models. China manufacturers also use DCT.

Many others already moved on to 8-speed or 10-speed traditional AT trannies while CVT is the major choice for most econoboxes.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post

DCT shines all the way sa circuit driving or launch control. i have some experiece sa DCT on track my biggest take away is parang seamless halos siya in that environment. the more aggresive the better. even left on its own lalo na sa sports plus mode para kang correct gear all the time. nawawala yung herky jerky transition niya especially between neutral and 1st gear. down shifts are to me always in time. baka siyempre depende din sa manufacturer ng dct. i cannot answer you sa off road, towing, heavy cargo.

ang hindi lang smooth talaga stop ang go traffic. lalo na part throttle kun saan the dct will slip the clutch to maintain 1st gear or go into neutral and vice versa.

fuel economy i cannot say for certain kasi wala ako apples to apples comparison pero i would imagine matipid ang dct dahil in principle manual pa din siya at relatively madami siyang gears spaced closed together.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    how was the nvh compared with the altis? the altis had the 4at diba?
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    can you say more?
    kasi, i am thinking of replacing our ancient 2003 altis 4AT with a new sedan.

Sorry, but I just drove it for a block, if at most, although I've asked for a longer test drive na.
    From what I can observe in that short time, tahimik naman siya at smooth ang ride.
    Yung power although 1.0L feel ko sapat naman for daily driving kahit may 3 passengers.
    I had my bro-in-law and family for the ride and peppy naman for me ang engine performance.
    May very very slight delay lang not sure kung dahil sa turbo, sa CVT or sa small displacement engine.
    But still, power (and torque) is enough anywhere here in the city hanggang Tagaytay pa.

Kaya medyo I was surprised din sa observation naman dito sa Autodeal review comparo.
    Relative to the City, mas maingay daw ang loob nung sa Almera, which they attribute sa installed tires.
    Tapos from their test drive, nasa 6-9km/L lang daw ang Almera sa city, far from Honda's 13-16km daw.
    Almost pareho naman sa hiway na 21km/l for City at 23km/l for the Almera.

Pareho naman kami ng reaction sa steering na very very light steering input lang ang kailangan.
    Napakagaan ng steering feel. A finger or two on the wheel will do. Hehe.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014

so i've been going over the tech specs on the JB74. auto vs manual

multiply the gear ratio with final drive, then the transfer gear ratio

observations:

1) 1st gear on the mt is shorter than on the at (at uses slushbox to compensate)

2) 4th gear on the at is slightly taller than 5th gear on the mt.

so nlex cruising is a tiny bit better on the a/t.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post

so i've been going over the tech specs on the JB74. auto vs manual

multiply the gear ratio with final drive, then the transfer gear ratio

observations:

1) 1st gear on the mt is shorter than on the at (at uses slushbox to compensate)

2) 4th gear on the at is slightly taller than 5th gear on the mt.

Naku bro Vodka.

I got behind the wheel of one of the last few stocks of the 3rd gen Jimny at the dealership sometime in 2017-18, and that remaining unit on display only had a manual transmission (inuubos na lang ata yung inventory at the time).

Now I have no preference between M/T or A/T, but noting the “cramped” conditions of its cabin, and its beam axle suspension, I didn’t bite, because I could immediately tell that a manual transmission on such a vehicle would be taxing to drive even for moderate distances (nakakapagod). The cheap sticker price (890k) for a cash buyer at the time was tempting, but no pa rin.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post

Could you explain a bit further?

Note: I now own an A/T JB74 ("4th gen") myself, but its not my daily driver (laruan ko lang). I knew fully well what I was buying, including its capabilities and limitations kaya tempered ang expectations ko, and happy ako with it.

Pero yun nga, beam axle suspension, high center of gravity, a tendency to oversteer (for an inexperienced driver) and a theoretical top speed of only 140kph more or less. The manual itself says not to drive and expect it to handle like a sedan because its designed for all terrain 4x4ing, not sporty driving on the highway...

How does having an A/T on it make highway cruising a bit better?

Which is the best "Manual or Automatic"??