New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    The rule will largely depends on the present circumstances, what kind of obstacle is up ahead(pothole or barrier), speed, reflex of driver, sorroundings, etc. The only logical reason why there are no-nos in sudden stop specially coming from a high speed run is the likelihood of getting smash at the rear.

For instance, in a highway running at over 90 or 100kph, suddenly a big pothole appeared, drivers quick glance at rear view showed car running at almost equal speed, both your sides are occupied with other cars, no way to swerve, then what will you do?
    Probable scenario would be;
    a. Your instinc and reflex is to naturally slam the brakes to the metal, most probably the car behind you will be caught by surprise, too late to catch up braking the speed, smashed your rear, caused heavy damage, not to mention possible injuries to the passengers(heavens forbid).
    b. Smart & split second moves would dictate you to ran over the pothole, dont stop suddenly but you can reduce speed slowly to cushion or lessen potential damage in the underchassis parts. Car behind will have time to see your brake light and would most likely catch the brakes way ahead of time, avoid getting reared, presto...no heavy damage, no accident, no casualty, no wasted time. In most cases, small damage may appear in later time in the suspension parts due to sudden impact.

As per the law states; Whoever hit someone is liable and at fault regardless of position, distance, speed etc. So if driver A rear ended driver B who is ahead of him due to sudden stop, that is the responsibility of former while the latter is the victim. Unless you are both running backward.

Regards

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Bump from behind, palaging yung nasa rear ang may fault.

Share ko lang po yung experience ko and to warn you tsikoteers na rin since this may be a modus operandi na baka ma-encounter niyo.

It happened 2-3 months ago na. So here it is.

I was driving at this street, my cruise speed is 40-50km/h, since I'm not a tailgater driver (I always drive with at least 3-6 meters distance between the car in front of me and mine), at my back is a tailgating motorcycle (lam niyo naman mga nagmomotorsiklo).

So back at the story, ang nasa harap ko ay isang bulok na sasakyan (70's or 80's pa ang model so luma na talaga). Nasa gitna ng kalye yung lane namin so cruising at around 40-50km/h, bigla siyang prumeno nang walang ka-abog-abog and dahil wala itong brake lights, hindi ko napansin kung brake to the metal nga ang ginawa niya. Napansin ko nalang na kailangan ko na palang umapak ng malakas sa brakes and then..

ayun, I did'nt hit the lokbu car, and bam, yung motorsiklo sa likod ko ang tumama sa akin. wasak headlights niya and nayupi likod ng advie ko bwiset. I looked at the lokbu car, ayun mga 5 lalake ang nasa loob, mukhang mga goons, kinatok ko pero nagmamadali daw sila at may pupuntahan sila (pero prumeno sa gitna ng kalye at full stop).

so nagbayad naman ang nakabanggang motorsiklo sa amin, nag-share lang ako ng experience sa inyo dahil sa tingin ko yung lumang sasakyan na nag-full stop eh naghahanap ng disgrasya dahil sa kanila eh walang mawawala sa auto. Kukuyugin ka nalang bigla siguro kung natamaan mo sila at hihingan ka ng pera eh samantalang lokbu na yung kotse.

So ayun, ingat lang palagi mga tsikoteers and please iwasan ang tumutok sa harapan niyo please lang.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by raby leon View Post
    The rule will largely depends on the present circumstances, what kind of obstacle is up ahead(pothole or barrier), speed, reflex of driver, sorroundings, etc. The only logical reason why there are no-nos in sudden stop specially coming from a high speed run is the likelihood of getting smash at the rear.

For instance, in a highway running at over 90 or 100kph, suddenly a big pothole appeared, drivers quick glance at rear view showed car running at almost equal speed, both your sides are occupied with other cars, no way to swerve, then what will you do?
    Probable scenario would be;
    a. Your instinc and reflex is to naturally slam the brakes to the metal, most probably the car behind you will be caught by surprise, too late to catch up braking the speed, smashed your rear, caused heavy damage, not to mention possible injuries to the passengers(heavens forbid).
    b. Smart & split second moves would dictate you to ran over the pothole, dont stop suddenly but you can reduce speed slowly to cushion or lessen potential damage in the underchassis parts. Car behind will have time to see your brake light and would most likely catch the brakes way ahead of time, avoid getting reared, presto...no heavy damage, no accident, no casualty, no wasted time. In most cases, small damage may appear in later time in the suspension parts due to sudden impact.

As per the law states; Whoever hit someone is liable and at fault regardless of position, distance, speed etc. So if driver A rear ended driver B who is ahead of him due to sudden stop, that is the responsibility of former while the latter is the victim. Unless you are both running backward.

Regards
    hmm papaano kung concrete barier yung nasa harap at hindi pothole? yung mga concrete barier na naout of place kasi me ginawa sa areA? me nangyari na sa akin na ganun hehe buti wala cars sa likod

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p_borj View Post
    Bump from behind, palaging yung nasa rear ang may fault.

Share ko lang po yung experience ko and to warn you tsikoteers na rin since this may be a modus operandi na baka ma-encounter niyo.

It happened 2-3 months ago na. So here it is.

I was driving at this street, my cruise speed is 40-50km/h, since I'm not a tailgater driver (I always drive with at least 3-6 meters distance between the car in front of me and mine), at my back is a tailgating motorcycle (lam niyo naman mga nagmomotorsiklo).

So back at the story, ang nasa harap ko ay isang bulok na sasakyan (70's or 80's pa ang model so luma na talaga). Nasa gitna ng kalye yung lane namin so cruising at around 40-50km/h, bigla siyang prumeno nang walang ka-abog-abog and dahil wala itong brake lights, hindi ko napansin kung brake to the metal nga ang ginawa niya. Napansin ko nalang na kailangan ko na palang umapak ng malakas sa brakes and then..

ayun, I did'nt hit the lokbu car, and bam, yung motorsiklo sa likod ko ang tumama sa akin. wasak headlights niya and nayupi likod ng advie ko bwiset. I looked at the lokbu car, ayun mga 5 lalake ang nasa loob, mukhang mga goons, kinatok ko pero nagmamadali daw sila at may pupuntahan sila (pero prumeno sa gitna ng kalye at full stop).

so nagbayad naman ang nakabanggang motorsiklo sa amin, nag-share lang ako ng experience sa inyo dahil sa tingin ko yung lumang sasakyan na nag-full stop eh naghahanap ng disgrasya dahil sa kanila eh walang mawawala sa auto. Kukuyugin ka nalang bigla siguro kung natamaan mo sila at hihingan ka ng pera eh samantalang lokbu na yung kotse.

So ayun, ingat lang palagi mga tsikoteers and please iwasan ang tumutok sa harapan niyo please lang.
    baka sa pagmamadali nung prepreno na nagkaroon ng adrenaline na napalakas tapak haha! o kaya, testing ng preno? haha, kaso kung testing ng preno hindi maganda lugar ng pinagtestingan nila:P

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ericp View Post
    This link gives a table of TYPICAL BRAKING DISTANCES. A good guide in deciding how far you should be from the car in front based on your speed:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_070645.pdf

Average car length is 13 feet.
    For example, at ~90 kph, you need 55 meters (olympic size pool is 50m) of space to come to a stop after you step on the brake pedal....

Safe driving!
    This is the rule I usually follow. I always keep a minimum gap of two seconds between me and the car in front, letting it open up to the said fifty meter gap at 100 km/h.

There is absolutely no reason to be following another car at closer than a two or three second interval. If you hit the car in front of you, it's your own damn fault for following too close.

I admit, I'm sometimes guilty of closing up to two or three car lengths when I can see around the car in front of me, getting ample warning of obstacles in front of him... simply out of habit... but this is no guarantee of safety.

Of course, if you're the idiot who brakes to a stop in the middle of a highway for a small pothole, causing a multi-car collision... I will feel free to beat the f*** out of you...

When people start tailgating me, I pull out of the way, if I can... slow down to force them to pass... or start playing the cha-cha with the brake pedal, to get them off my ass...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    When people start tailgating me, I pull out of the way, if I can... slow down to force them to pass... or start playing the cha-cha with the brake pedal, to get them off my ass...
    yan ba yung babagalan mu para mairita yung nasa likod mo? yun ang gawain ko minsan minsan rin nagchachange lane ako pag me natutok sa likod kasi madalas yung mga tumututok nakabright arggh nakakasilaw sa rear view at side view!

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    guilty din ako minsan dito eh, pano naman kasi pag nagbigay ka ng ample breaking distance between your car and the car in front of you eh may biglang magchachange ng lane papunta sa yo (dalas wala pang signal) dahil nakita nila yung "gap" as an "opportunity". ang siste, babagalan mo na naman hanggang magkaroon ka ulit ng distansya, may makakakita na naman ng "opportunity" hanggang bandang huli eh nagagalit na yung nasa likod mo sa dami mong pinasisingit.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BratPAQ View Post
    guilty din ako minsan dito eh, pano naman kasi pag nagbigay ka ng ample breaking distance between your car and the car in front of you eh may biglang magchachange ng lane papunta sa yo (dalas wala pang signal) dahil nakita nila yung "gap" as an "opportunity". ang siste, babagalan mo na naman hanggang magkaroon ka ulit ng distansya, may makakakita na naman ng "opportunity" hanggang bandang huli eh nagagalit na yung nasa likod mo sa dami mong pinasisingit.
    If you drive properly... accelerate and brake at the same time as the guy in front of you, even if your follow-distance is somewhat long, this will not usually happen. If you hesitate too long when the car in front of you accelerates, then it will... when I pay attention to my driving, I don't usually get people squeezing in in front of me. When I don't feel like staying in touch with the car in front, I let them go ahead. No sense bottling up traffic just to defend a patch of concrete that I don't own, right?

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    If you drive properly... accelerate and brake at the same time as the guy in front of you, even if your follow-distance is somewhat long, this will not usually happen. If you hesitate too long when the car in front of you accelerates, then it will... when I pay attention to my driving, I don't usually get people squeezing in in front of me. When I don't feel like staying in touch with the car in front, I let them go ahead. No sense bottling up traffic just to defend a patch of concrete that I don't own, right?

ewan ko kung san ka nagdadrive ngayon, pero sa pinas, ang mga motorista, lalo na ang mga jeepney driver at bus eh papasukin pag may nakita silang butas, especially sa stop and go trapik, di pwedeng maglagay ka ng ample distance dahil pag nakita ng katabi mong mas mabilis ang abante sa lane mo, sisiksik yan at ipipilit ang sasakyan nila, tapos pag lane naman nila ang bumilis babalik ulit sa lane nila yan (di mapakali sa lane nila). but i usually let them go, lalo na pag nagsignal naman.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kulotz View Post
    hmm papaano kung concrete barier yung nasa harap at hindi pothole? yung mga concrete barier na naout of place kasi me ginawa sa areA? me nangyari na sa akin na ganun hehe buti wala cars sa likod

Now, this one is tricky.... You need to slow down (do not stop), glance at your side mirror and seize the opportunity to "steal" from the other lane while pressing hard on the gas pedal, without hitting the vehicle in front of you. And then, return to your original lane......

8505:bat:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
What's the rule on making sudden stops causing vehicular accidents?