New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines



Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by slicky rick View Post
    valentine 1 used to be the top but techology has m,oved on my friend now the escort and beltronics units seem to be at the top. specially with the gps features...look at radartest.com maybe you can also give feedback on what you read...
    GPS feature is only useful if you have data to use. Without any data where the speedtraps are located, its a useless feature. Given we don't have such data, I don't think you would be usijng that feature at all.

  2. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20
    #22
    agreed ghost hunter, gps might not be applicable to us but i just wanted to share the move in technology. there was a comparison on the valentine 1, beltronics rx65, escort 8500 x50. to give credit to valentine1, its still considered one of the top dogs of radar detection. this review is on radartest.com. i am incline to go for the beltronics unit being cheaper and with some, imo, useful feature like voice. only real concern is will it work here. Ghosthunter, im sure the v1 has worked for you but it is a bit priced on the high side for me. Given the 3 units tested which would you pick for our use, and if you were just to buy now.

  3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #23
    Quote Originally Posted by slicky rick View Post
    agreed ghost hunter, gps might not be applicable to us but i just wanted to share the move in technology. there was a comparison on the valentine 1, beltronics rx65, escort 8500 x50. to give credit to valentine1, its still considered one of the top dogs of radar detection. this review is on radartest.com. i am incline to go for the beltronics unit being cheaper and with some, imo, useful feature like voice. only real concern is will it work here. Ghosthunter, im sure the v1 has worked for you but it is a bit priced on the high side for me. Given the 3 units tested which would you pick for our use, and if you were just to buy now.
    Go with what you think is good for you and your budget. Radar frequencies are the same here and in the USA.

    I still say the V1 is the best and if you want the best, you have to pay for it. No shortcuts about it. IF you feel the other brands are better, it is up to you. Honestly, the difference in detector performance (among the top models) is not that big. The biggest thing with detectors is you now can detect speed traps and avoid getting ticketed.

    What I prefer to have in a detector:
    -radar and laser detection (multi-band coverage)
    -long range detection
    -front and rear detection (side detection is a bonus)
    -minimized false warnings (city/highway settings)
    -simple to use (as much as possible, less configuration to do, the better. In fact, mine is just plug and go)
    -simple to read indicators (driving at high speeds, you don't have much time to read complex displays)
    -simple to understand warnings (voice is nice but you cannot misread the meaning of a simple beep and a LOUD alarm sound going off)

    As for GPS features, if you get a detector with GPS feature, you are buying a "feature" that you cannot use. Better choose a model without the GPS and save a few dollars.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 21st, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

  4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20
    #24
    thanks. my last inquiry brother, would you buy 1 if you still did not have one? you have already experience with the radar detector. fortunately for us. is it really worth it? i remember when i bought the gps navigation unit, thinking it will be so helpful specially for the wife, and thinking that it is becoming standard on most modern cars, i got one. Now here in where we are and i am telling myself should have just saved the $230. not really being used and its there at my house. im sure you get where im coming from bro. i want to protect myself but the cost will be for nlex slex and sctex use only which i consider i travel a lot because i have a house in pampanga and friends in bataan. but is the excitement of driving 200 on nlex worth the detector. hope you can share your honest opinion. I actually love driving on that stretch of new road going to bataan. its a four lane road with curves and ....really nice. plus no speed limit. not going 200 but 150 to 170 on curving roads is more exciting.

  5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #25
    Quote Originally Posted by slicky rick View Post
    thanks. my last inquiry brother, would you buy 1 if you still did not have one? you have already experience with the radar detector. fortunately for us. is it really worth it? i remember when i bought the gps navigation unit, thinking it will be so helpful specially for the wife, and thinking that it is becoming standard on most modern cars, i got one. Now here in where we are and i am telling myself should have just saved the $230. not really being used and its there at my house. im sure you get where im coming from bro. i want to protect myself but the cost will be for nlex slex and sctex use only which i consider i travel a lot because i have a house in pampanga and friends in bataan. but is the excitement of driving 200 on nlex worth the detector. hope you can share your honest opinion. I actually love driving on that stretch of new road going to bataan. its a four lane road with curves and ....really nice. plus no speed limit. not going 200 but 150 to 170 on curving roads is more exciting.
    Unless you travel through NLEX/SCTEX/SLEX with the preference to drive over the speed-limit often, it's not really worth the money to buy one. But when the opportunity strikes, it's something you wish you have to maximize the opportunity on the expressway. But with the local governments moving to increased use of speed limited enforced by speed-traps, having a radar detector might soon be a standard for motor-junkies like us.

    IMHO, if you have money to buy a fast car, buying a radar detector should also be considered. It's not just the excitement of speed. Sometimes, it's a matter of not getting bored and sleepy at 100kph.

    Last year during December, I traveled nearly the entire length of SCTEX/NLEX (Tarlac to Manila) between 170 kph to 200 kph and I was confident on the fact that my V1 would give me ample warning to slow down if a speed trap was ahead.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; October 22nd, 2011 at 04:10 PM.

  6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20
    #26
    there you go. im getting one.. thanks brother. im getting the beltronincs pro rs65. its not a gps unit but in comparison to v1 and escort 8500 x50.

  7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20
    #27
    i now relaize why V1 was the preferred choice of ghosthunter, though it is an old design, it is still the bechmark for comparison of the new ones. Although, old, it still competes with the newer designs in terms of sensitivity and performance. However, on thing that made me decide on getting the newer ones was the price. it still up there. some say with the features it is more expensive than escorts benchmark detector, the redline. well actually after ordering i realize that the vector 995 might also be a good candidate with cheaper pricing still.

  8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    29,320
    #28
    Quote Originally Posted by slicky rick View Post
    i now relaize why V1 was the preferred choice of ghosthunter, though it is an old design, it is still the bechmark for comparison of the new ones. Although, old, it still competes with the newer designs in terms of sensitivity and performance. However, on thing that made me decide on getting the newer ones was the price. it still up there. some say with the features it is more expensive than escorts benchmark detector, the redline. well actually after ordering i realize that the vector 995 might also be a good candidate with cheaper pricing still.

    DO I hear some "buyer's regret" creeping in? hehehe

  9. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,773
    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by slicky rick View Post
    thanks. my last inquiry brother, would you buy 1 if you still did not have one? you have already experience with the radar detector. fortunately for us. is it really worth it? i remember when i bought the gps navigation unit, thinking it will be so helpful specially for the wife, and thinking that it is becoming standard on most modern cars, i got one. Now here in where we are and i am telling myself should have just saved the $230. not really being used and its there at my house. im sure you get where im coming from bro. i want to protect myself but the cost will be for nlex slex and sctex use only which i consider i travel a lot because i have a house in pampanga and friends in bataan. but is the excitement of driving 200 on nlex worth the detector. hope you can share your honest opinion. I actually love driving on that stretch of new road going to bataan. its a four lane road with curves and ....really nice. plus no speed limit. not going 200 but 150 to 170 on curving roads is more exciting.
    If you want to protect yourself do not speed. Speeding is a danger to yourself and to others.

  10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    20
    #30
    the sin of buying a want and not a need, especially in hard times. i always fall prey ot that. during hard times i splurge.. damn. during good times i save. hmmm something must be wrong with me.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
what radar detector is compatible for use at nlex and sctex and slex?