New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    contemplating on getting a radar detector. is it really helpful? there are good ones in the US but talked to someone from beltronics and they say it is incompatible for philippine use. Anybody actually used units bought from the US like the betronics pro gx65 with success. please share. does it really help. ghosthunter have you had success with radar detectors. whats your recommendation? salamt

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I think GH has either a Valentine or a Passport. They will work here.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    so are we saying that we are operating on the smae frequency as the us system? if valentine and passport works then all the good detectors in the us should work. but are they any good? these detectors are expensive but if they will prevent traffic tickets...it will be worthit specially for those running the highways regulary

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by slicky rick View Post
    so are we saying that we are operating on the smae frequency as the us system? if valentine and passport works then all the good detectors in the us should work. but are they any good? these detectors are expensive but if they will prevent traffic tickets...it will be worthit specially for those running the highways regulary
    Chances are the person you spoke with is just playing safe with his answer given that these companies have no official representation here.

I drive on the highways regularly and go over the prescribed limits (before, i used to go waay over but age and having kids onboard has caught up with me) and so far i've never been tagged by radar on NLEX, SCTEX, or SLEX. Given the limited number of freeways we have, positioning of the speed traps can be quite predictable (There are some related threads that give tips on avoiding them).

Either way, if/when you do get a detector, do continue to drive within sane limits for the given road conditions, for everyone's safety.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't really get why we need a radar detector here...

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I think GH has either a Valentine or a Passport. They will work here.
    The one I have is a Valentine ONE.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    I don't really get why we need a radar detector here...
    You don't get it because you don't drive fast enough.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by slicky rick View Post
    contemplating on getting a radar detector. is it really helpful? there are good ones in the US but talked to someone from beltronics and they say it is incompatible for philippine use. Anybody actually used units bought from the US like the betronics pro gx65 with success. please share. does it really help. ghosthunter have you had success with radar detectors. whats your recommendation? salamt
    I use VALENTINE ONE. It's one of the best in the market with accesories and options for installation, etc. There are also other cheaper options for the more budget conscious. My detector has saved me a number of times from getting a ticket since I bought it.

The speed radar and laser systems used by Fort Bonifacio (Taguig), NLEX, SCTEX, SLEX, MMDA are all bought from the USA so it would stand that any radar/laser detectors bought from the USA will work.

In fact I have tested my radar/laser detectors and it has given the usual beeps and sirens when a radar or laser beam was pointed in my direction. My detector even would tell me from which direction the beam was coming from. My only problem with early detection was the laser speed gun used by the MMDA along Commonwealth. With the MMDA people positioned above the road and the beam is tight with little scatter, my detector would only sound off when the beam is already pointed at the car. If the MMDA was at road level, my detector might have a better chance to detect the laser earlier.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Shhh... don't let the fuzz know how to beat it!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Nahuli ka na ba GH sa commonwealth?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
what radar detector is compatible for use at nlex and sctex and slex?