New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    I have to be honest na medyo I really don't know how to handle this kind of situation since ive been a careful driver ever since. But last night a motorcycle bumped me sa rear bumper ko. I was running very slow kasi kaka green light lang when suddenly the jeepney passed in front of me so I have to stop then syempre while going for the gear 1 again medyo na slide konti yung car ko since the road medyo incline but normal slide lang nman backwards which happens all the time sa manual na car. Nagulat lang ako biglang may sound then yun nga si motorcycle na scratch nya konti rear bumper ko but not dents. yung fender nya may slight crack mga 2 inches. sinasabi nya na kasalanan ko daw kasi umatras ako and I told him kasalanan nya kasi in the first place siya yung parang dumidikit and dapat may distance siya. I didn't move my car pero siya nag park siya sa side ng road. To cut the story short, sinabi ko na lang quits na lang para wala ng problema since wala nman gustong umamin and slight scratch lang naman since may mga ibang scratches na rin sa rear ko. I was able to get his plate no.naman. So here are my questions:

1. pag may ganun dapat bang tumawag na lang ng traffic enforcer?
    2. is it right for the motorcycle to move away from the incident since sa pagkakaalam ko dapat iwan lang nya dun kung paano siya nakabangga
    3. am I too nice na to just let it go? my family always tells me kasi na pag minor lang pabayaan na lang kaysa may mangyari pa sakin.

or maybe pwede po kayo mag provide ng step by step kung ano dapat gawin pag may mga incident na ganun. thanks in advance

2. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    That has happened to me several times in the past 3 years and I just let it pass if the damage isn't that big, say under 5K worth of damages or less. Reason is my insurance equity is around 3,000 and I have to go thru the motion of filing documentations and waiting for approval to get the repairs done and that takes much from someone like me who values time and would rather spend it on more important things. Also I wouldn't waste time arguing with someone who doesn't follow the rules nor understand them as in your case, whether the vehicle is in a bike lane or within lane the rule states that the vehicle on the rear should establish an emergency braking distance of at least 10ft. or longer so that you'd have time for your reflexes to kick-in in the event that the car in front of you suddenly brakes. Trouble is a lot of drivers especially motorbikes riders seem to have an obscured belief of driving rules so you'd have to get the help of a traffic enforcer or a policeman to knock some sense into them otherwise you'd be in for some tussle or worst some of them have guns that don't care about rules to begin with. Use your sensibility and gauge the other party if it was really just an accident or he got caught off-guard before you take it to the next step. If the other party is apologetic then all the more I become considerate and just decide to let it pass understanding the situation we got into. If arrogance is in the air and the other party refuses to own up to his mistake then thats the time I gauge whether it is cheaper to let my insurance deal with him or I will fight it out like hell and prove him wrong and give him the same inconvenience by dragging him to the police station. In the end you will surmise that your bruises was not worth the problem to begin with. In my view you took this one correctly and that your family was wise to advise you so.

Basic rules in a vehicular accident:

1. Do not move the vehicle.
    2. Check for human casualties or damages for both the assailant and the victim and contact any emergency response team if needed.
    3. If there are no human casualties both parties should let a traffic enforcer or a policeman document the damages and file a formal incident report for insurance claims.
    4. In the event of a dispute both parties may file charges and claims in the precinct or station within the jurisdiction of the accident.
    5. Evidence and supporting witnesses will help both parties in their cases.
    Last edited by willyfernando; May 29th, 2015 at 05:33 AM. Reason: double post

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    It does pay to have the incident documented for future reference. There are unscrupulous persons who might take advantage by filing malicious complaint just to collect monetary claims at the expense of the other party. In the absence of traffic authorities, a responsible official from the bgy or the accident venue can process a simple blotter to set the record straight. This would be a deterrent to malicious complaint that may arise in the future.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Just got involved in an accident yesterday as well. I'll post it in another thread. Anyway, here's what MMDA's website has to say:

"What To Do During Vehicular Accidents

Minor Accidents

1. Safety First

The principle concern during a car accident is the safety and well-being of everyone involved. Alight from your vehicle and take pictures of the situation whatever happens.

2. Do Not Cause Traffic

After that, the drivers should pull their vehicles out of the road immediately so that they're both clear of oncoming traffic. Use flares or cones, if you have them, to alert other drivers, and turn on your hazard lights so that you can be more visible. Call the nearest hospital if anyone has been hurt. Do not leave the scene of an accident--even a minor one--until everything has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

3. Interacting with the Other Driver

Once the initial shock wears off and it's apparent that no one's been seriously hurt, tempers may flare. Refrain from losing your temper. Get the other driver's name, address, contact information and insurance details, and provide the same for him (this is why it's a good idea to carry your insurance information in your vehicle). See if an amicable settlement can be made. If not, call the MMDA hotline 1-3-6, and ask for traffic enforcers/investigators to be present on the scene immediately. Remain at the scene until the investigators arrive and tell you that you can go.

4. Insurance and Repairs

With the basics taken care of, it's time to see about the damage to your car and how you can go about getting it fixed. If you can, call your insurance agent immediately while you're still at the scene and ask him about repairs. Keep in touch with the traffic investigators, and file a report on the accident if they ask.

Major Accidents

1. Check if anyone is hurt.

Check yourself and your passengers to see if anyone has been injured. If someone is hurt, summon medical assistance right away, or dial MMDA 1-3-6 and ask for a medical team and a traffic investigator to go to the scene.

2. Make sure to take pictures of the accident.

Once your condition and that of your passengers has been established, take pictures. This is the best arguing tool that you can have. Photos showing the vehicles and the surrounding area can help get you out of a bind if the other person denies what happened. Make sure to take pictures of both vehicles, (including license plates), and the area in which the accident occurred.

3. Move your vehicle off to the side of the road if possible.

It is unsafe to continue to sit in traffic and a two-car fender bender could turn into a multiple-car pileup very quickly. If you are unable to move your vehicle, make sure to stay in the area of the incident until the investigators arrives.

4. Let the investigator take command of the situation, and institute measures to prevent the accident from getting worse.

When the police arrive, you will want to get their names so that you can refer back them later when reviewing the accident details. Additionally, you shouldn't rely solely on the police report to tell your side of the story.

5. Exchange information with the other driver.

If involved in an accident with another driver, make sure to exchange the following information with that driver: name, address, phone number, insurance company, policy number, driver's license number and license plate number. You also should write a description of each vehicle, including the make, model, year and color.

6. Contact your insurance company and know what your policy covers.

After exchanging information with the other driver, you next move should be to contact your insurance company to let them know that you've been in an accident and to give them your version of the events. Additionally, you should be aware of what exactly your policy covers. You might find out that the actual cost to repair your car manageable enough to avoid going through your insurer and incurring a premium hike.

7. File an accident report with the police department.

Having a police report on hand can assist in speeding up the insurance claims process. You can file a report at your local police station."

Here's the link: What To Do During Vehicular Accidents

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

5. Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Also very useful if you have a dashcam on your car. Para may solid evidence of what happened!

We're selling dashcams and dual cameras! GPS trackers aslo available. Please visit our page Zumi PH - Manila, Philippines - Camera Store, Car Parts & Accessories | Facebook for specs and sample videos

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Also very useful if you have a dashcam on your car. Para may solid evidence of what happened!

We're selling dashcams and dual cameras! GPS trackers aslo available. Please visit our page www.facebook.com/zumi.ph for specs and sample videos

6. Join Date
    May 2011
    I think the no.2 in minor and no.3 in major accident is not applicable haha no one will move their cars what ever happen until TE mmda documents everything.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2015
    may nangyari di sakin na accodent una ko kgad gnwa . hindi ko move yung car tpos take pictures. tumawag ng officer. then dun ka magsalita