New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    I've said this before and my opinion hasn't changed through the years. These u-turns DO work, surprisingly enough, BUT not in all the places they were deployed to AND at the expense of safety.

Not worth the tradeoff for me.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    Happy Easter to everyone!
    It will be best if we limit the discussion with the C5 twin u-turn and not include all the MMDA u turns around the Metro.
    What I am really afraid of is if the C5 u turn doesn't meet its purpose.
    Removing it will take much much longer than building it.
    In case magkaroon ng MRT in the future sa C5 the Uturn will be a problem. Just a foresight.
    Ano kasi, that is in reply to these posts

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the elevated U-turns generate more traffic rather than alleviate it.
    -turn slots, and i don't mean just the ones in c5, don't help ease traffic. in fact, they do the exact opposite - cause heavy build-up. worse, the build-up affects not just one but both directions - where the u-turning vehicles are coming from and going to.
    Me contention na hindi daw nawo-work ung u-turns when in fact, kung titingnan mo yung mga nangyari sa ibang lugar.. e nagwo-work nga. No offense meant pero, its not`a fact` that they cause traffic. Proof na nga itong mga ibat ibang lugar na merong u-turn. Im old enough to remember how bad it is before those u-turns came into existence.

Isa pa, we use c5 everyday and nung natapos ung unang u-turn slot. Gumaan talaga.. A lot of people have posted here too.. na gumaan talaga..

Now, as to whether mas maganda na clover-leaf ang ilagay.. ibang usapan. baka nga mas maganda un.. pero, kung ang paguusapan lang e kung nakatulong ba tlaga sa traffic.. e nakikita nmn na nakatulong..

yun mga concrete bus seperators and pink fences...masikip na nga sa EDSA lalo pang pinapasikip ng napakagaling nating MMDA chairman, gusto pang tumakbong President...utot niya! magkalat na lang siya ng lagim sa Marikina huwag na niya damay buong Manila
    hindi nmn luluwag ang EDSA if you remove those. What it will do is bring back the old times when the buses can hog the roads for their own. Like, they will drive on the innermost left lane.. then pag me bababa, biglang magswerve until the innermost right lane, then babalik ulit sa innermost left lane. Hindi pa nagse-senyas.

Talagang nakakainit ng ulo. Walang pakialam ung mga bus kung ano mangyari sa mga katabi nila. Malaki kasi sila, kaya pag natamaan ung car.. ung car pa rin ang talo kaya napipilitan kang mag-adjust kahit ung bus ang mali.. buti sa ngayon confined na sila sa isang area.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The U-turn slots are more effective than having 4 way or 3 way stop intersections. The idea is to have a more constant (non-stop) flow of traffic. The key here is to merge effectively. If everyone is in their proper lane and nagbibigayan lahat when they merge traffic should move more smoothly with the U-turn slots than with 4 or 3 way stoplights. Conversely, kung naggigitgitan lahat, mabagal talaga. But this is also true whatever flow of traffic is implemented.

The biggest problem is the volume of traffic. Remember how light traffic was when gas was close to 60/liter? Pasig to Makati took me 10mins. We need to build more roads or encourage development away from Metro Manila. Or give tax cuts to people who commute

As for the concrete barriers, siguro kulang lang sa lighting yung ibang areas. Would you rather remove them and allow buses to play patintero with you at every part of EDSA? I don't get why the barriers are to blame in these "accidents". These barriers don't move. If someone hits a gutter or wall nobody blames these inanimate objects so why start blaming the barriers? These "accidents" happen because the drivers (drunk, sleepy or not) go too fast on dimly lit roads that they are unfamiliar with. All you need to do is slow down.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    As for the concrete barriers, siguro kulang lang sa lighting yung ibang areas. Would you rather remove them and allow buses to play patintero with you at every part of EDSA? I don't get why the barriers are to blame in these "accidents". These barriers don't move. If someone hits a gutter or wall nobody blames these inanimate objects so why start blaming the barriers? These "accidents" happen because the drivers (drunk, sleepy or not) go too fast on dimly lit roads that they are unfamiliar with. All you need to do is slow down.
    +1. I remember those days where EDSA had a service road. Once they had removed these, buses were all over EDSA.

As I said before, if you keep to your lane, these barriers will not be a hindrance. Plus it would be stupid for the driver to drive fast in an unfamiliar place. These barriers do not move, unlike in the ongoing construction in SLEX where almost everday, it changes.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    actually hindi lang un bridges ang pwede naten i complain. nakaka bad trip din un mga jeepneys going to legarda from r.magsaysay.
    titigil sila sa right lane. kukuha ng pasahero.... un mga cars going to mendiola quipo naiipit. tpos tong mga jeepneys bigla liliko pa kaliwa onto incoming traffic para umakyat ng tulay.

and yeah. ang gulo nga dyan sa c5 elevated u turn. pag napapa daan ako banda dyan parang nakaka takot. parang may accidente mangyayari.

sistema / disiplina ang kulang.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Pampasikip lang yan eh

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i thought u-turns work until recently ... it turns out that higher fuel cost is much more effective in reducing traffic

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    i thought u-turns work until recently ... it turns out that higher fuel cost is much more effective in reducing traffic
    Tumpak!!

I wonder if the naysayers will acknowledge they're wrong and apologize if traffic improves after the work on the elevated U-turns is finished.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    The U-turn slots are more effective than having 4 way or 3 way stop intersections. The idea is to have a more constant (non-stop) flow of traffic. The key here is to merge effectively. If everyone is in their proper lane and nagbibigayan lahat when they merge traffic should move more smoothly with the U-turn slots than with 4 or 3 way stoplights. Conversely, kung naggigitgitan lahat, mabagal talaga. But this is also true whatever flow of traffic is implemented.

The biggest problem is the volume of traffic. Remember how light traffic was when gas was close to 60/liter? Pasig to Makati took me 10mins. We need to build more roads or encourage development away from Metro Manila. Or give tax cuts to people who commute

my point exactly

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by creepy View Post
    Tumpak!!

I wonder if the naysayers will acknowledge they're wrong and apologize if traffic improves after the work on the elevated U-turns is finished.
    And I wonder if the proponents and advocates of these "brilliant" elevated u-turns will apologize if traffic does not improve at C5 at all.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Those pesky U-turn flyovers at C5 ...