New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Do we really need a speedlimit in Metro Manila?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 68.42%
  • No

5 26.32%
  • No Opinion

0 0%
  • I am Bayani Fernando.

1 5.26%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i think for buses, it would be ok. tapos confined sila sa bus lanes.
    pag private vehicle, mukhang harang. i've tried observing the 40 kph limit kanina dito sa loob ng village. nasa 2nd/3rd gear lang ako. hehehehe. lalakas sa FC.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Kahit pagapangin pa nila ang mga yan, kung mag-aagawan pa rin sila ng pasahero para maka boundary, may mga aksidente pa ring mangyayari.

Yayaman lang mga traffic enforcer. More rules, more opportunities for kotong.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    TS: Correction lang, it's Commonwealth Ave and not Congressional Ave.

The speed limit applies to PUBs and PUJs. On one morning show, the BOAP President, Ms Claire dela Fuente, was agreeable to the SPEED LIMITER and REV LIMITER to be placed on their buses. This is a welcome news.

As for the YELLOW LANE. This is my Opinion. It's STUPID.

Reason: I don't know how old most of you are BUT...back in the 60s, EDSA had a Service Road. This is where the old JD and MD buses (Red Ford 500s) was limited to travel on, pick up and drop off passengers. There were even waiting sheds made of concrete. Cars making a right turn were obliged to enter the Service Road via openings and not allowed to make a right turn from the Main Road. The Jeepneys plying EDSA also used this Service Road. In those days, there were only 3 lanes on each direction plus 2 lanes for Service Roads.
    By the Early 70s, about the time the Metro-Manila Council was formed and the booming of car sales in the country (My dad bought our 1977 Corolla for just Php 40,000.00) the islands separating the Service Road from the main removed for ROAD WIDENING purpose and to accommodate the getting heaving volume of traffic along EDSA. The then 3 lane became 6 lanes.
    When Mang Bayani came into the picture, he had this "BRILLIANT" idea of painting Yellow lines on EDSA and even up to erecting PINK FENCES to keep the buses on the right side.
    So my question is: WHY IN THE HELL **** DID THE MMC REMOVE THE ISLAND ALONG EDSA IN THE FIRST PLACE???

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyChaser View Post
    TS: Correction lang, it's Commonwealth Ave and not Congressional Ave.
    yup, I noticed it. My bad ... I have corrected the title and initial thread post as well.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Here's a picture of EDSA*Guadalupe Bridge, no idea what year it was taken though:

You can just see on the rightmost side of the picture the service road with a bus that ChevyChaser mentioned earlier. You will notice that EDSA was just three lanes wide.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Here's a picture of EDSA*Guadalupe Bridge, no idea what year it was taken though:

You can just see on the rightmost side of the picture the service road with a bus that ChevyChaser mentioned earlier. You will notice that EDSA was just three lanes wide.
    Circa 1962-1964. The small car is a 1962 Toyopet (Toyota) Corona. The big car on the left is either a Ford Fairlane or a Ford Falcon(not the F-16). The "SALAMAT PO" sign is by then MAYOR NEMESIO YABUT of MAKATI.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The skies seems to be much cleaner then. hehe

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    [quote=archie123456789;1147444]pwede... during rush hours.

seriously, not a good idea, babagal lalo yung traffic, and is edsa not a highway?[/quote]

A small lesson on our fair city's history:

Before 1966, Metropolitan Manila was unknown. It was then President F. Marcos who created our MEGAPOLIS. Before that, it was just the cities of Manila, Quezon City, Caloocan and Pasay cities. Mandaluyong and San Juan were just SUBURBS. Thus, there were 3 per side Jeepneys that were plying the Manila and Suburbs Route. The only municipalities were Pasig and Makati. Paranque & Las Pinas were part of Rizal Province, Malabon Valenzuela were part of Bulacan Province. The MAin thoroughfare connecting Caloocan, Quezon City up to Pasay was then only known as "HIGHWAY 54".
    I used to remember ( I was Grade 2 then) writing our address as "226 Mercier Street, San Juan, Rizal".
    By 1966, Mr. Marcos had created what is now known as "REGIONS" and integrated Caloocan, Quezon City, Manila and Pasay with 13 municipalities and became known as "The National Capital Region" or "NCR".
    At that time, Highway 54 given the name as "EPIFANIO DE LOS SANTOS AVE. and the name was shortened to EDSA. It was also downgraded from a Highway to an AVENUE so the speed limit along EDSA was also downgraded from 80kph-100kph to 60kph max.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hmmm... so Suansing is still wrong? So it's still a 60 km/h road?

Regarding the island dividng the service road... pure idiocy to remove it... Wider roads don't ease traffic... they just make it more confusing for the brain-addled.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the removal of the island at the Quezon Memorial Circle... before that, you had cars careening three lanes across to get to their turns.

Now, with seven lanes open to vehicular traffic, you have cars careening across five to six lanes to get to their turn... regardless of who they sideswipe. There are times wheh there are accidents there every week.

If anyone were actually studhying traffic theory, there's a law that states that sometimes, the less choices you give drivers, the less traffic they create.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008

Sorry di ko na adjust ang size ng pix. SAna ibalik na lang sa ganito. At least ang pollution nasa kalsada lang at madaling alisin.:vacuum:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
In the news: 40 Km/h speedlimit proposed on Commonwealth and EDSA