The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    For me I think they only need to do 3 things FIRST:
    1) Enforcement
    2) Enforcement and
    3) Enforcement

Those are the 3 things that they need to do first before putting up another money-making structure.

They should train MMDA Enforcers to enforce the law and not just sway their hand telling drivers to move when it's clear as day that the light is green and telling us to stop when it clearly shows red. I find it idiotic in EDSA, an MMDA officer will sway his arm in scooping motion telling drivers to move when that's the only way to go. I find it even more idiotic when they stand beside their motorcycles just after the traffic light waiting for a violator. Can't they at least hide? I wouldn't think someone would break the law when they could see an officer from 10 meters away. They should train them to pull over drivers who drive like a psycho, give tickets to those who load and unload properly, PUV's who use roads as their parking, etc. Not just looking out for color coding violators or pulling over truck drivers who haven't done anything wrong.

I'll give an example in Commonwealth/Litex Road area which I call Lintek road. For those who are not familiar with that, it is a part of Commonwealth Avenue a few meters after Sandiganbayan building near Commonwealth Market. That part of the Commonwealth shows how undisciplined drivers, cops and pedestrians can be. Why? People cross the avenue as if they are crossing a 2 lane street, cars, trucks, motorcycles literally cross the street 90 degrees to take a U Turn, loading and unloading everywhere, tricycles will drive towards oncoming vehicles, people are sitting on the island as if they are sitting on their couches, walk as a group as if they are in a park, etc. After exiting from Commonwealth Ave towards Litex, it is a 3 lane road but in the morning, it's only 1 lane for vehicles and in the evening around rush hour, less than a lane, just enough to fit your car. It's just crazy. To top all of those, there are cops, enforcers there directing traffic but got immune to what is happening. I even saw a cop with his daughter crossing the street considering there is a very big sign at their back that says BAWAL TUMAWID MAY NAMATAY NA DITO.

When you are en route to Fairview from Philcoa or en route to QC Circle from Fairview, that area is one of the bottlenecks and after that, you will question what are those enforcers doing coz the traffic is light again. And boy, you will dread that part during holidays because of Commonwealth Market.

That is just one section of the avenue, how much more throughout the metro. They said that tricycles are banned to use major roads but I still see a lot of them. There was even one time near Don Antonio area, cars slowed down coz 3 men pushing their wooden carts filled with fruits crossed the avenue and to think that section is filled with MMDA.

For the biggest roundabout, the infamous QC Circle, I don't know what to say. It's just a f**cked up road. If it's your first time to pass there, don't be surprise when you see a careening bus exiting from East Ave eating up 4 lanes towards the inner lane then swerve back to the outer lane either to enter Commonwealth, load or unload. Plus those PUJs who are so quick to eat your lane then suddenly swerve either to load and unload or exit somewhere. The only good thing is it is not as worst as Monumento rotunda.

My point is Commonwealth Avenue is a prime example that even if you put 6 lanes but don't enforce the law, it will always end with the same result - traffic, grid lock.

For rotunda's, that is a nice idea but for me, they should first teach the enforcers how to enforce the law and not just keep on whistling and swaying their hands in a scooping motion.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    +1000 to the post above me

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    these are the signs that i want enforced:
    1. bawal tumawid. ina-aresto dito.
    2. no parking. kinukumpiska ang sasakyan dito.
    3. no loading and unloading. pine-presinto ang driver at ini-impound ang sasakyan dito.
    4. bawal ang padyak at kuliglig. tina-tansan dito!
    5. bawal ang kolorum. kinukumpiska dito at hindi na sinosoli!

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    I wish MMDA would reconsider their plan to put up rotundas. OK lang ang rotunda if the volume of vehicles passing through them is not that great.

It's a nightmare traversing a rotunda in a busy Metro Manila street at rush hour as vehicles will be coming at you from all angles. And with our drivers bad habits of "walang bigayan" the possibility for gridlock and accidents is heightened.

Example na lang is that stupid rotunda near NAIA 3. Coming from Nichols/Bonifacio going to Paranaque/Sucat, traffic really slows down approaching that rotunda. "Balyahan" talaga ang mga vehicles as they are coming at different angles cutting off each other to get out of the rotunda.

Rotundas are also a waste of space. That NAIA 3 rotunda is so huge it robs vehicles of valuable street real estate.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    havent seen a 3 lane roundabouts here in AU....max lane that i ecountered is only 2 lane....actually it is very effective here..no stop light..continous flow..

rule of the thumb when entering a runabout is always giveway to the incoming vehicle to your right..btw LHD kami...hindi namin iniisip yung mga incoming from the left kasi they will automaticall stop pag nakita nila na meron ng nakaabang from their right..

yung QC Circle is a big joke na gawing roundabout...number of lanes inside a roundabout should be the same as the exit and enty point...
    Last edited by ozcity; January 9th, 2011 at 09:24 PM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ozcity View Post
    havent seen a 3 lane roundabouts here in AU....max lane that i ecountered is only 2 lane....actually it is very effective here..no stop light..continous flow..

rule of the thumb when entering a runabout is always giveway to the incoming vehicle to your right..btw LHD kami...hindi namin iniisip yung mga incoming from the left kasi they will automaticall stop pag nakita nila na meron ng nakaabang from their right..

yung QC Circle is a big joke na gawing roundabout...number of lanes inside a roundabout should be the same as the exit and enty point...
    so if i understand correctly, entering a rotunda, you always stop/give way to the ones already in the circle. if you're already in the circle, give way to the ones exiting.

that's how i always understood the right of way in a rotunda. baliktad mga driver dito, ikaw na nga yung nasa loob ikaw pa mag give way dahil dirediretso lang mga auto pumasok ng rotunda, walang sense of safety.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    *ozcity: I stayed in the US for 1.5 years and if my mind serves me correctly, I only remember seeing 1 rotunda there and that was in a small town up north - Sta. Maria, CA. It was a 2 lane roundabout and each time we were in that town, I never experienced any chaotic moment in that rotunda. In LA and in North Hollywood area where we stayed, and in some parts of the US that we have been to, I don't recall any. In here, coming from the airport, along Andrews Ave, there are already 2 rotundas.

*thejerk: The rule here for roundabouts in our country is NO RULE. Just muscle your way in and muscle your way out. If you are weak, good luck.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    just imagine all those buses making the turn with you; they're gonna have to make them real big in some streets like EDSA.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Pinavia interchange:

10. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Just another way to put cash in their pockets

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MMDA plan to reduce traffic