New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    i haven't seen any of those 80% paper based driver's license the LTO chief talks about. has anyone here have?

LTO's paper license plan continues to draw fire
    By Kap Maceda Aguila (The Philippine Star)
    Updated September 22, 2010

MANILA, Philippines – Paper or plastic?

It seems the overwhelming, vehement answer is the latter.

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) proposal to revert to paper driver’s licenses by next year is getting a lot of fiery opposition.

Although LTO Chief Virginia Torres tried to assuage the public by saying that the new “80-percent paper base” license will be secure, durable, and environment friendly, many motorists and transportation groups have been riled by the move.

In an earlier interview with The Philippine STAR’s Rainier Allan Ronda, militant public transport group Piston (Pagkakaisa ng Samahan ng Mga Tsuper at Opereytor Nationwide) secretary general George San Mateo had derided the reversion to paper as “highly suspicious and doubtful.”

“I don’t know of any country that uses paper licenses. I can’t imagine they would last,” joins Augusto Lagman, president of the Automobile Association Philippines, the country’s biggest and oldest existing auto club. Established in 1931 and formerly known as the Philippine Motor Association, the AAP is a non-stock, non-profit organization “committed to the general welfare of motorists in the Philippines”. It boasts over 50,000 members.

In an exclusive chat with The Philippine STAR, Lagman tries to give LTO a fair shake. “They might know of efficient technology
    that we are not aware of, so we are researching advantages and disadvantages of the paper form,” he continues.

Still, Lagman says that he can’t see any obvious advantage. For instance, even if security measures are put in, paper would prove to be a “fragile” medium unless laminated. And that would defeat the purpose. “I don’t know if going back to paper is a solution to security concerns. It’s even easier to fake as there are a lot of paper suppliers,” he declares.

Lagman disagrees with the LTO contention that paper licenses would be more environment friendly. “If you really want to reduce (carbon footprint), we should look at extending our license validity from three to five years – as in other countries. Studies show that significant changes in the face of a person occur after six years.” It would be a big relief for an estimated six million drivers who don’t have to keep going back to the LTO to renew their licenses, he concluded.

Dodie Gadia, a contruction specialty contractor who has been driving himself and his family around for decades, puts it simply: “The solution is to improve the quality of the card. Perhaps authorities have been prioritizing ‘tong-pats’ over the actual license construction. It’s time they focus on what’s important.”

Presumably, all the negative feedback has gotten the attention of Department of Transportation and Communications
    Secretary Jose de Jesus, who has already ordered a deferment of a scheduled supply bid this week. De Jesus has also instructed LTO’s Torres to explain the planned reversion to paper.

Judging from such adverse reactions all around, the LTO paper proposal seems just about ready to go into the trash bin, or shredder.
    http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx...bCategoryId=72
    Last edited by ghosthunter; September 22nd, 2010 at 02:10 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    What are these people on?!?!!

I always thought license was card type. I'd be really happy to see an old paper license.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It is always a matter of money.

With a paper license, they can make an excuse to require everyone to get a new license every year and charge a higher "renewal" & issuing fee as well.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    pu**, siguradong may kinalaman ang pera dito ulit, I'm 100% sure mas malaki ang makukubra nila kapag ginawang paper ang license. ano na ba ang nangyayari sa Pilipinas???

baka gusto muna nilang unahin yung mga ibang bagay..

1. kailangan may garahe ang kotse hindi yung sa kalsada nakaparada.
    2. bicycle/tricycle at main streets/highways

atbp, madami masyado.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ano ba kayo!? maganda nga naisip ng LTO eh, pag masakit ang tiyan at kailangan umebak sa roadside eh di pwede gamitin yun license natin pamunas.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    ung card nga minsan nasisira pa..e panu pa kung paper? e d lalo na napunit un!

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by StolenWifi View Post
    ung card nga minsan nasisira pa..e panu pa kung paper? e d lalo na napunit un!
    pwede mo ba pamunas sa pwet ang plastic card?

8. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    pwede mo ba pamunas sa pwet ang plastic card?
    and now this paper license is a piece of crap with a piece of sh!t
    Last edited by Taurus; September 22nd, 2010 at 05:08 PM.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Pwede rin naman papel pero laminated gaya sa saudi at habaan ang expiration date, gawin na lang 5 t0 6 years dahil napaka hirap mag renew, mabagal ang computer at kailangan pang pumila sa madaling araw gaya sa batangas city.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    why don't we just wait and see just what it looks like.. we may be surprised.. i'm sure it's not the laminated cartolina of yore... and maybe the renewal period should be increased to 5 years. it will help decongest the LTO office.
    btw, it's not such a bad idea to include cars also..

LTO wants driver's license back to paper