New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Me and my friends are hoping to do an electric vehicle conversion sometime in the future, but we were wondering if any of you guys would know what the LTO's guidelines are (or even simply where we could find such info) in allowing an electric vehicle to be registered as street legal. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Try http://www.lto.gov.ph/ , but I didn't find it there. Try the downloads section here: http://www.lto.gov.ph/download.html ...I guess whatever is needed on an owner-type (front seatbelts, working headlights, back-up lights, turn-signals and brake-lamps) will do... besides the obvious brakes, steering, tires, etcetera.

You have to check the laws for what kinds of vehicles can use main thoroughfares. Some roads cannot be used by low displacement or small vehicles such as underbone motorcycles and tricycles, for reasons of safety.

I think this is also the problem that is also stalling other electric car makers. Simply, if your car can't go fast enough to keep up with traffic, then it's a danger on the road. (minimum for highways, for example, is 60 km/h). But if you can get around it... well... you're in!

(That 60 minimum makes you wonder about those buses and jeepneys that ply those roads, though... )

Anyway, good luck on your project!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Wow! Electric car project! Astig!! Good luck!

Sorry sa OT

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by vinzer View Post
    Me and my friends are hoping to do an electric vehicle conversion sometime in the future, but we were wondering if any of you guys would know what the LTO's guidelines are (or even simply where we could find such info) in allowing an electric vehicle to be registered as street legal. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
    I think someone have been watching Discovery channel ...