New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Gud day fellow tsikoteers!

I'll be going to the US in november and i was wondering if id be able to use drivers license there. I dont usually drive when I go there, kaso this time I think I would be doing a lot of unsupervised driving. My friend told me that an International Driver's license is available at P900 (this is yr 2004 figures).

Im quite hesitant in getting one kasi I've hear some people claim na valid ang local driver's license up to a month sa states.

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    You can use your Pinoy Driver's License for about 6 months ata. I don't know if it varies from state to state. Nung nasa Cali ako dati on a business trip, dalawang beses pa nga akong nabigyan ng ticket ng California Highway Patrol: (1) overspeeding sa freeway; and (2) crashing on a police officer's patrol car (umuulan kasi nun). On both occasions, I was not penalized for using my Pinoy Driver's License when I showed it to them. I told them I was on business trip sa states. Make sure you bring your passport with you when you drive.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    if you have a laptop thats wifi ready, bring it, it would help you a lot when your cruising the area, mapquest.com lang ok na, or you could search it sa yahoo, my friend told me that the lapatop is really dependable unless you have a navigator on your car then you wont need a laptop anymore

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    ...yep, when i presented mine in a car rental and asked if it was ok hirit lang saken, "as long as i can read it, it's ok".

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by EL Chicane
    You can use your Pinoy Driver's License for about 6 months ata. I don't know if it varies from state to state. Nung nasa Cali ako dati on a business trip, dalawang beses pa nga akong nabigyan ng ticket ng California Highway Patrol: (1) overspeeding sa freeway; and (2) crashing on a police officer's patrol car (umuulan kasi nun). On both occasions, I was not penalized for using my Pinoy Driver's License when I showed it to them. I told them I was on business trip sa states. Make sure you bring your passport with you when you drive.
    :bwahaha: : :bwahaha:
    LOL, that is funny.

I just spoke to my pinoy co-worker that just came here a few months ago. He came here with an international driver's license and he said he was only allowed to drive and use his Phil DL for 60 days. He also mentioned that you cannot use your Phil DL here so you would need an international DL.

Also, most rental car companies (Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, etc) - they would require you to be at least 25 years old and above and should have a US, Canadian or international driver's license PLUS credit card to be able to rent. Unless someone is renting for you - you may be able to drive but thats up to the rental company to decide.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Phil DL is ok for 30 days at a time. w/c means 30 days per entry.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    YES, i drove there for 1-1/2 years (i was going in and out of the US every month since i work here in asia) with my phil DL, rented a car twice, had an accident once, no problem with my phil DL. you just need to present your passport since they will want to see it. in fact even when i already had my US DL i presented my phil DL when i was caught for speeding ehehehe! lusot, di ako binigyan ng ticket warning lang. hindi naman nila alam na may US DL na ko e. license is valid for 6 months after entry for some states, in other states only 60 days.

you do not need an intl driving license issued by phil motor assoc, it's just a piece of cardboard crap. highway patrol did not even look at it when i presented it when i had my accident, what he wanted to see was my phil DL and passport.

credit card? no need! i rented there twice, paid in cash. what is important to them is you pay the insurance premium (which is optional).

sorry airshaq if my post runs counter to yours, i'm just speaking from personal experience.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo
    YES, i drove there for 1-1/2 years (i was going in and out of the US every month since i work here in asia) with my phil DL, rented a car twice, had an accident once, no problem with my phil DL. you just need to present your passport since they will want to see it. in fact even when i already had my US DL i presented my phil DL when i was caught for speeding ehehehe! lusot, di ako binigyan ng ticket warning lang. hindi naman nila alam na may US DL na ko e. license is valid for 6 months after entry for some states, in other states only 60 days.

you do not need an intl driving license issued by phil motor assoc, it's just a piece of cardboard crap. highway patrol did not even look at it when i presented it when i had my accident, what he wanted to see was my phil DL and passport.

credit card? no need! i rented there twice, paid in cash. what is important to them is you pay the insurance premium (which is optional).

sorry airshaq if my post runs counter to yours, i'm just speaking from personal experience.
    That's OK yebo, no need to apologize. I guess it varies from state to state. But anyway, insurance is optional ONLY if you already have insurance coverage (I actually rent once in a while when I have to drive far and dont want to put miles in my cars), otherwise, they would ask you to buy insurance.

Insurance is required before you can drive a car anywhere in the US - and they will definitely require you to have one especially if you'll gonna show a Phil DL.

Regarding your accident, you were lucky that they did not checked you from their computer. I guess the cop assumed that you dont have a US DL - otherwise, they would have to check your record with your US DL.

In addition, there have been a lot of changes since the beginning of 2004 and in some states in 2005. Every year, the law changes - so if you haven't been here lately, then, those laws may have already changed.

Edit:
    They will need a debit card with a visa logo (they will put a hold/charge for at least $250 if its a visa debit card) or credit card to rent. But you may pay cash when you return the car. (sorry, should have clarified that one).
    Last edited by airshaq20; September 28th, 2005 at 11:36 PM.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo
    Yeah, I agree. Ako nga Non-Pro pa yung Pinoy license ko, hindi naman pinansin. Tinitingnan lang ata nila kung expired na o hindi pa. Hindi rin hiningi yung passport ko. Pero dalhin mo na rin just in case.

Lumaki yung fine ko dahil hindi daw ako huminto nung pinapahinto niya ako. Nung una kasi, inovertake ko siya sa freeway. Tapos ini-ilawan niya ako sa likod. Akala ko pinapatabi niya ako sa slow lane. Nung nasa slow lane nako, tutok ulit siya sabay flash ng red-and-blue lights sa ibabaw nung patrol car niya. Dedma lang ako. After mga 5 minutes, winang-wang nako, kaya napilitan na akong mag-pull over.

Nung nakita nung CHP yung Pinoy license ko, ang sabi: "Don't you have speed limits in the Philippines?" .... tapos sabi pa niya "Don't you know when a police officer is trying to pull you over?"

As usual pinoy reaction, kamot ng ulo. Ayun, dedo. Nagbayad ako ng $120 sa munisipyo nila. Langya.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Just remember, the horn has a different meaning over here. :D

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Can I use my Philippine Driving License sa States?