New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I would think twice driving a car with tires older than 5 years old even if the tires were just driven a few thousand kilometers. That few thousands you spend for a new set of tires might be the best insurance policy you bought. A blown tire due to its age might just be your death sentence. You’d rather be alive than dead.

Most people would spend on other things for their cars but cheap out on tires. They forget that the only things that keep your car running on the road are the tires.

Paul Walker and his friend died when the Porsche GT they drove rammed into a tree. The cause of the accident was that the tires were old and it blew out on them causing the car to lose control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Egan101; January 15th, 2021 at 10:46 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Are all tires the same whether it is pirelli, michelin or low cost tires like arivo, sailun..... the life of the rubber is 5yrs?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tsikot Forums mobile app

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    How long typically would you say tires would last in kms, granted there are no alignment issues? 90k kms?
    Check thread wear ratings. Those with 400 or more would be good for around 50k km or a bit more but 60k km will be pushing it.

If lesser than 400, check tire degradation yearly or every 10k km. It depends on road conditions and how you drive. More aggressive acceleration and braking will surely shorten the life of your tires. The stock Bridgestone HL 400 on my FXT had a 300 thread wear rating and I had them replaced at 39k km.

For those with 200 or less thread wear rating, they would be good for just 20k km. They are very grippy tires though but they wouldn’t last 2 years. I tried the Kumho KU36 XS before with a thread wear rating of 180, they were almost gone by 20k km.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Check thread wear ratings. Those with 400 or more would be good for around 50k km or a bit more but 60k km will be pushing it.

If lesser than 400, check tire degradation yearly or every 10k km. It depends on road conditions and how you drive. More aggressive acceleration and braking will surely shorten the life of your tires. The stock Bridgestone HL 400 on my FXT had a 300 thread wear rating and I had them replaced at 39k km.

For those with 200 or less thread wear rating, they would be good for just 20k km. They are very grippy tires though but they wouldn’t last 2 years. I tried the Kumho KU36 XS before with a thread wear rating of 180, they were almost gone by 20k km.

Thanks for this. Learn something new everyday. I typically base tyre condition on the thread wear indicator but, I make it a point not to push it to it’s limit especially if I foresee it nearing replacement approaching the wet season or abnormal wear even with some thread depth left. You can actually sell those tyres to rethreaders as the side walls will probably still be acceptable.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ale828 View Post
    what about kaya retreaded tires. I know trucks and PUJ use retreaded tires.
    are they to be considered brand new from the date they were retreaded?
    Truck / bus tires sometimes have markings on the side "regroovable"

I think that MVIS should be technical and updated to the latest tech and what is applicable to our country using local data.. they focus on tire age what about the thread depth? Applicability of tires? HT / AT or off road

6. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    Medyo mabilis ang wear nyan bro. Stock tyres nang Accent ok noon, Kumho na entry level tyre 40k lang. Bridgestone Ecopia 60k, Petlas 88k. Ibaiba rin, depende sa brand. The reason I asked is, you can do as much retreading on the tyres as long as it is still 5years or less so, PUVs who do as much as 30k a year would typically wear down the tyres in 2 years & can do a retread for 3 more years if the sidewalls structural integrity is still OK. Practical opinion only.
    makapit kasi siguro sya bro na tires? achilles 122 yata ang model IIRC
    btw real 40% used sya bro ha, if you look at it mukhang makapal pa talaga and IMO 60% away from tread wear indicator.
    naalala ko kasi dati yung yokohama ko dati, akala ko 80% pa yun natira yun pala nasa 80% used na (baliktad) LOL

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjababez View Post
    makapit kasi siguro sya bro na tires? achilles 122 yata ang model IIRC
    btw real 40% used sya bro ha, if you look at it mukhang makapal pa talaga and IMO 60% away from tread wear indicator.
    naalala ko kasi dati yung yokohama ko dati, akala ko 80% pa yun natira yun pala nasa 80% used na (baliktad) LOL
    Young Achilles 122 at 2233, medyo mataas ata thread wear rating nito (400 or better). Yung grippier 123S, nasa 200 lang ata so di ito pangmatagalan.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    I recently replaced my car tires with a different brand "turkish" origin and was surprised to see it is manufactured 2019 but it is already installed. Are there lots of 2019 stocks of tires? because as we know we encountered many lockdowns last year.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tsikot Forums mobile app

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjababez View Post

Haha I remember using Advan Neovas sa WRX! Bilis maubos. Two or three years lang ata ubos ko na, and I drove a paltry 5,000 to 6,000 kms a year.

10. Join Date
    May 2014
    yun tires na may rots na, less than 5 year old kahit makapal pa kailangan ng palitan
    madalas yan sa mga walang garage, tapos maghapon may direct sunlight
    pansinin nyo yung bitak bitak, not caused by driving/using it pero dahil sa natuyo na yung rubber

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
[AutoIndustriya] Tires older than 5 years old not allowed under MVIS?