New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Do you think the Commonwealth Ave "discipline zone" experiment would work?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 11.11%
  • No

7 77.78%
  • No Opinion

0 0%
  • I am Bayani Fernando

1 11.11%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mqavila View Post
    I'm with you on this bro. I live in the area and I am AT A COMPLETE LOSS why the heck the MMDA had to create this massive U-Turn Slot near Batasan. As bro scharnhorst said, it's permanent - as in they made a concrete barrier/sidewalk to wall off the u-turn slot. They didn't even use the movable concrete or orange plastic barriers that can easily be removed IF AND WHEN THEY REALIZE THAT THIS WAS A STUPID MOVE TO BEGIN WITH!
    Okay lang sana tong U-turn slot, it's simply the size that begs an explanation.

There should be strict implementation of this ruling during the wee hours - this is when the major accidents happen.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I think 60kph is OK for badly worn vehicles that ply that avenue but for those with newer cars that can drive faster more comfortably and with peace of mind (of not getting stuck with jeeps, tricycles, etc that all want to swerve into the U turn slots) I think it has to be increased to around 80kph naman. It's around a 7-lane highway already! That even merits 100kph speed limit but due to the condition of the concrete/asphalt it's nowhere near as safe to do so.

In fairness, they installed a lot of reflectors on the U turn slot barriers now. But they still cannot control and discipline reckless drivers.

Among one of the weirdest things I've seen on Commonwealth are two motorcycles that collided with each other, people driving so fast while simultaneously swerving to the U turn slots (or from them), tricycles that can't even get out of its own way, and drivers who are so impatient that they have to cross perpendicular to the lanes just to get to the nearest U turn slot and get a lot of mad drivers cursing at them at their wake. Even more disappointing are the amount of pedestrians that cross the Manggahan area, putting a speed limit of 60kph in that area will not solve the problem. It will actually even encourage daredevils to run faster since they know motor vehicle drivers and owners can now be held liable.

Badly constructed roads and the inability to discipline reckless motorists are not valid reasons to support the speed limit, IMHO. I mean, I see alot of Vios police cars around night time on Commonwealth but they don't do anything at all and just cruise along with their siren lights blinking (w/o sounds).

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I agree with mbeige. Yun namang sa kukuha ng pick-up, altis, etc. Lalaki benta ng Subaru niyan dude! hehehe.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My say:

A "law" with no way to properly implement is worst than having no "law" limiting the use of the road.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    i also live near batasan and i always pass in that avenue everyday. it feels so good to drive there especially during the wee hours coz the road is so wide!

im fine with the 60kph speed limit but i think it would take a long time for them to implement it. i think they should first fix on how to make the avenue smooth flowing. i noticed that there are lots of areas that vehicles slow down especially in places where there are overpass and U-turn slots where PUVs dont care if they stop or swerve abruptly just to load and unload and cars crossing to and from the U turn slots. and when you've passed sandiganbayan, the road will become a new story. people cross the avenue like it's just a side street, vendors everywhere and all those stuff, it's so ridiculous, just like an obstacle course.hehe plus when it rains, motorcycles will use the overpass as their shade.

and the most amazing of all, why do they need to put the 2 biggest U turn slots in the world!hehe the one is in front of diliman school and the other is in batasan where it becomes a swimming pool during rainy season and now they're putting soil in it which only God knows what's their plan again.

i think they have to iron out lots of issues first before they could really start implementing speed limits. like in other countries, they have speed limits coz their roads are almost smooth flowing and well planned.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Do you think the Commonwealth Ave "discipline zone" experiment (which is starting on Nov 14) would work?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ano naman ang "discipline zone" experiment na yan?

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Malabo.

Mga driver at pasahero parehong pasaway.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    GH can you enlighten us about the "discipline zone experiment"

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by iho250 View Post
    GH can you enlighten us about the "discipline zone experiment"
    Ano ata.......ang maximum speed sa Commonwealth is 60kph (from dating 40kph).

Pero, malabo ma-implement ito kasi, aminado ang pulis at MMDA na wala silang gamit (speed gun) para ma-monitor yung speed. Sabi ba naman ng QCPD, "pakiramdaman" na lang daw.

Sasabayan daw nila ang isang vehicle na "pakiramadam" nila exceeds 60 kph. How they will do it? Susundan daw nila, then titingin sila sa sarili nilang speedometer ng mobile nila. Ha-ha! Kung lampas ng 60kph.......huli ka!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
60 kph speed limit on commonwealth w/  laser speedgun